Respected Contributor

anyone watching alaskan bush people?

we are on the second episode. kind of interesting. family of 6 boys 2 girls mom and dad. get thrown off their last place as squatters on public land, so they buy some land in Alaska out in the middle of no where.

Honored Contributor

Re: anyone watching alaskan bush people?

I watched for the first time last night. I always think of questions about these shows. What is the source of their income? One daughter is wearing jewelry and has pierced ears. They don't require school in Alaska? Another thing, why all the only five acre parcels? We live in a rural area in Michigan and our selling minimum is 10 acres. I see those 5 acre plots on the Buying Alaska shows also. With all that land . . .

Esteemed Contributor

My husband loves this show! I watched a little last night, and I wa s surprised some of those kids haven't settled down with families of their own yet.

Today I Googled them and found out that lots of people think they're lying and it's a hoax. One website said they stay in a lodge with the camera crew, and the network got the land for them (which really isn't as isolated as they have us think). Another said they are being sued by the state of Alaska because they claimed to be full time residents, but they say the family has spent more than 180 days in lower 48.

What do you think? Is it like the wrestling shows where much is staged?
Honored Contributor

I admire people for wanting to live off the land,but, I couldn't do it. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Are they really living off the land, or is it just for the show?
Esteemed Contributor

I have watched this show off and on since last season.  When they go to "buy" something, they state they have no funds, so they trade for goods.  How can they say that they "have" no money, when they are getting paid very good money for each show??  I like that the family seems to be so tight , but I also think their isolation and closeness is a bit weird. I do think they are getting away without paying those taxes that we all must pay. Of all, I really like the mom! She is strong, warm and willing to live in the wilderness for her family.

Esteemed Contributor

@corita I also thought it was odd that they said they have no money because they have to be getting something from the network.

At least one of their kids is in 30's while others are in 20's. It surprises me they don't want to go start their own lives or families.

I like the mom too. She has such beautiful skin, and she looks great for someone who's been roughing it. I'd hate to think what my skin would look like if I had no access to my skin care products and make up.

Trusted Contributor

Is this the show wherein the Mom had to have extensive dental work done a few months ago? 

I also admire that they can live off the land.  I would like growing a veggie garden if possible, but I don't think I could bear the frigid winters.  I am a wuss about being warm!

Honored Contributor

I was skeptical when this show started, all these people driving around in a car without a spare tire.  But over the months they have grown on me.  Yes, the financial arrangements are cloudy, but what comes through this show is the bond and love between these family members.  We look forward to it every week and I hope they make a bundle off this show. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think tonight is the season finale.  My how time flies!

I can't believe the son broke up with his girlfriend.  😰 They seemed meant for each other.  I'm hoping she'll be back.  

He should've known that boat would have rotten spots on the bottom considering how old it is and how long it's been in the water.  Surely their check from Discovery will cover the repairs.  I don't think I've ever heard them reference how much they get paid.  I wonder how much they get for each episode and how they divide the money?