Respected Contributor

Re: anyone watch Doctor Who?

Sorry if I'm resurrecting an old thread but didn't see anything recent.  I just started watching this show from series 9 this weekend and got hooked!!  Of course, the only Doctor I had seen was Peter Cepaldi and I thought he was great as was Jenna Coleman.  I also saw the first episode of series 10.  Then I caught one episode from series 7 with Matt Smith and it was SO different!!  I'm planning on going back and watching older shows from Netflix.

Any suggestions from those of you who follow this series??  Some things I was able to pick up fairly quickly and some things I'm clearly missing but wondering how much I really need to watch to catch up?

Honored Contributor

You're pretty much up to speed and may find yourself more confused if you watch from the beginning. In the very earliest Dr. Who's, the storyline was that he could only regenerate a few times (seven maybe?) but we're now on Dr. number twelve, so they tweaked things a bit along the way.

The villains are largely the same with Daleks, Cybermen and the like from the very early episodes. In almost every series he has a female traveling companion. For a while he also had a robotic dog called K-9. It would be kind of neat to go back and start from the earliest available season and watch them chronologically, but you might need six months or more to catch up watching multiple episodes a day.

Wikipedia has a lengthy article on Dr. Who that should bridge any gaps you have in knowledge if you'd rather not spend months catching up.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

BBC America had a "Doctor Who" marathon on last wek, starting with Tennant, who is my favorite. He has such range as an actor!

I remember watching "Doctor Who" in the '80's, and I think that the first "Doctor" that I saw was Tom Baker.

I had a hard time getting in to Capaldi as the "Doctor" so I missed a lot of episodes of "Who", but now I'm starting to get in to the groove with him.

At the time, I was caught up in the "Doctor"/Rose romance, but now, not so much.

For me, the saddest episode that I have seen, is when Tennant regenerates in to Matt Smith, and he says, "I don't want to go!"

I have a diary that is the same that River Song used.

Spoilers!

Oh, and I love River Song!

I still have not seen the episode where Matt regenerates in to Peter. 

What's that episode titled?

Did you know that David Tennant's father-in-law is Peter Davidson, who also played as the "Doctor", and that Peter's daughter played as the "Doctor's" daughter in one episode, and that she is married to David in real life?

Small world!

Valued Contributor

Another longtime Dr Who fan going back to Tom Baker and watching with my children. I always have a hard time when the Dr regenerates, seems the current one is always my favorite. I was reading an article speculating about the next one being a woman and the complicated politics of being on BBC. 

As far as merchandise I have a Tardis shower curtain and picture in my bathroom along with tee shirts and a backpack. Confesses the 68 year old. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2, the episode where Matt Smith regenerates into Capaldi is the Christmas special "The Time of the Doctor."  Not one of the better shows but you'll want to watch it for the very end.

I can't say my saddest episodes because spoilers!

Honored Contributor

@sueinsf wrote:

Sorry if I'm resurrecting an old thread but didn't see anything recent.  I just started watching this show from series 9 this weekend and got hooked!!  Of course, the only Doctor I had seen was Peter Cepaldi and I thought he was great as was Jenna Coleman.  I also saw the first episode of series 10.  Then I caught one episode from series 7 with Matt Smith and it was SO different!!  I'm planning on going back and watching older shows from Netflix.

Any suggestions from those of you who follow this series??  Some things I was able to pick up fairly quickly and some things I'm clearly missing but wondering how much I really need to watch to catch up?

@sueinsf, no apologies, please!  I was glad to read what I wrote then.  I love Capaldi now.  I miss him already LOL.

I started in the middle too, because I became friends with someone who is obsessed and like me is not at all into science fiction.  Not only did I not watch it as a kid, I've never seen a Star Trek episode and only one Star Wars movie.  Not my genre.  But she made me promise to try and the rest is history.

I don't know what Netflix has but Amazon Prime has all the episodes since the reboot except the current season.

So they have season 1 which is never shown.  Then they have all the rest and I would watch them in order because BBC America has them on in the mornings again but they jump around.  Watching the a lot of the marathon last week brought home for me how this show is meant to be watched in order.

My favorite doctor, like most people (women), is David Tennant.  Oh wait, it's Matt Smith.  Tennant.  Smith.  Tennant is so hot and Smith is so funny and Capaldi's dong amazing work too. 

It would help you watching Capaldi with Clara to have seen her with Matt Smith, who kind of had a crush on her.  (Also would help to have already seen and known his wife, and who she is, and that's Matt Smith stuff too). 

HTH.  I vote for catching up in order but that doesn't have to stop you from watching what's on air, the new ones or the morning reruns.  HTH.

Honored Contributor

@ballyk, Heart your Tardis shower curtain!  Ever see a picture of the house in Great Britain the people painted to look like the Tardis?  LOL.

Honored Contributor

OMG, wind me up, here I go again with Doctor Who LOL.  I love it so much I may never shut up!

Anyway this post to say I was prepared not to like Bill because on paper she sounded like she was created by committee -- young, gay, poor, black, orphan.  But the actress pulled it off, she's so charming!

The plot wasn't very good but the visuals were stunning and as Who fans lok forward to when doctors or companions change, this is a totally new flavor and I like it.  And they used Nardole just the right amount for comic relief.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My favorite Doctor....

Image result for tom bakerand that d@mn scarf of his.

Then & Now

Image result for tom baker

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Another Tom Baker fan and longtime watcher chiming in for the best Doctor of all time, #4!  Of the "modern era" I liked Chris Eccleston best, Tennant was okay, Smith was barely okay, and I don't like Capaldi at all.  I look forward to seeing who comes next, even though I know it won't be Tom Baker.  I did love the retrospective episode where they showed bit parts of every single Doctor, from first to latest.  It was obviously film clips for Doctors #1-3, and Eccleston (spoilsport, shame on him!) but the rest were all the live actors playing parts, I believe.