Respected Contributor

another mini series on History channel

For anyone interested, tomorrow at 2 p.m.ET on the history channel, there's a mini series on The Food That Built America. It features the beginnings of H.J Heinz, Kelloggs,  C.W. Post among others. It runs till 8 p.m. I've seen it and it's pretty interesting and a bit cut throat.

Honored Contributor

Re: another mini series on History channel

Thanks.

They really have some great content on there.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

For anyone interested, tomorrow at 2 p.m.ET on the history channel, there's a mini series on The Food That Built America. It features the beginnings of H.J Heinz, Kelloggs,  C.W. Post among others. It runs till 8 p.m. I've seen it and it's pretty interesting and a bit cut throat.

oh thanks

that was on before but I missed it

Regular Contributor

Speaking of food MSNBC has a series starting tomoorrow called  What's Eating Amrica with Andrew Zimmerman

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's a good series. I watched it when it came out last year in August. 

If you enjoy shows about the history of our food then you might like PBS's American Experience:  The Poison Squad ...air date 1/28/20.

"The Poison Squad' tells the story of government chemist Dr. Harvey Wiley who, determined to banish these dangerous substances from dinner tables, took on the powerful food manufacturers and their allies."  - PBS

Dr. Wiley is also known as the 'father of the FDA'. If it wasn't for his research and determination there would be no safe food, drugs or any other consumable in the USA today. The show is a real eye-opener and after you watch it, you will never look at food and drugs the same way.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, that sounds interesting. Right now I'm on a Betty Crocker kick, looking at old cookbooks.

Honored Contributor

lots of Betty Crocker cookbooks at flea markets, goodwills, etc.

If you find any older ones grab them. People don't cook any more and as the younger people inherit them, they pitch them because they're not going to actually cook anything , so, they get thrown out.

This is the food, recipes, that was from back when people made their own bread, homemade dishes, etc.

Home Ec and young girls were taught how to do basic skills in sewing, etc.

Trusted Contributor

I found it very interesting as I worked for General Foods (then Kraft) for 30 years. 

I knew a little about the history of GF, but didn't know that Marjorie Merriweather Post made Clarence Birdseye an offer he couldn't refuse.  She was one tough cookie.  There was a beautiful painting of her in our executive dining room.

Very educational to me.

Honored Contributor

I just set my Tivo and know that there is 3 shows so it runs about 6 hrs.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

lots of Betty Crocker cookbooks at flea markets, goodwills, etc.

If you find any older ones grab them. People don't cook any more and as the younger people inherit them, they pitch them because they're not going to actually cook anything , so, they get thrown out.

This is the food, recipes, that was from back when people made their own bread, homemade dishes, etc.

Home Ec and young girls were taught how to do basic skills in sewing, etc.

@SharkE, besides the fact that younger people, and me, don't cook, we also don't eat the same way anymore.  The offerings everywhere are different reflecting a different culture wanting healthier options.  I'm all about options, but I don't want it forced on me.  I noticed last year, the food court at our favorite ski resort had eliminated pizza slices and hot dogs and had weird offerings I had no interest in.  Luckily, they still had burgers and chili.  There was one lady telling them "I just want a grilled cheese".  I'm a little worried since I see they have re-done the entire building claiming more eating options, but I fear what those options may be.