Honored Contributor

Re: Young Sheldon Finale Spoiler _ May 16, 2024

[ Edited ]

@CamilleP 

I didn't take it that Mary had passed away necessarily, but it's possible.  I don't remember that it was actually mentioned.

We do know that Mary lived for a good while after George died since Sheldon said that she eventually sold their old house.  And of course, the character of Mary appeared on Big Bang Theory a few times which was after Sheldon was an adult.

I think a lot of times the writers of these shows allude to certain things or leave details out on purpose so that the viewers can come to their own conclusions as to how things turn out.

Respected Contributor

@geezerette  I don't remember it being overtly mentioned, it was more the tone of voice from both Sheldon and Amy in the conversation.  I do remember one BBT episode of Sheldon visiting his Mom in Texas when he and Howard went there to go to Houston and NASA, and Sheldon looked in the window and saw his Mom "getting busy" with some guy on the couch, and of course it freaked him out.  I don't remember if the layout of that house was the same as the home set used on Young Sheldon or not, though.  I don't remember any Big Bang Theory episode of Sheldon freaking out because his mother was selling the house, though, and Sheldon would, for sure, freak out about a change like that.  Little things like that are what make me think that the "Memoir" final episode of Young Sheldon is set, in time, quite a few years after the end of BBT, allowing time for Sheldon and Amy to have two kids, those kids to get old enough to play hockey or take acting lessons, and possibly, for Sheldon's Mom to have died.

I agree with you, I suspect the writers are being deliberately vague, perhaps leaving room for the series finale of "Georgie and Mandy's First Marriage" (alluding to the potential of them marrying when George Jr. was 18, divorcing some time later, then re-marrying later in life, I am sure) to further explore/explain the future events of the lives of not just George Jr., Mandy and CeeCee, but of Missy, Connie and Dale, and Mary.  So I guess I will just have to wait to see if more information is divulged in the newest spin-off.

Valued Contributor

I cried watching the funeral of George. In the final episode I was surprised that Amy was so BOSSY with Sheldon.It seemed her character was much sharper than it was on the BBT.

Respected Contributor

@elruth  I noticed that, too.  But then I remembered how, when Sheldon was being particularly obstreperous, his mother would do the same thing, just "lay down the law", and Sheldon would do as he was told, from childhood up through adulthood, shown in several BBT episodes when Mary would visit him in California.  Sometimes she'd use the "so-called reverse psychology" tactic, but sometimes she'd just give him no choice, and he'd obey his mother.  Clearly, Amy has discovered that sometimes she just has to be really firm with Sheldon, and he'll cave.  In many ways, Sheldon is really still just a very tall child, no matter how old he gets, witness his narration at the start of the two-episode finale of being "more emotionally mature", when he clearly is not.