Honored Contributor

Re: Young Man Featured On My 600 Lb Life Died

B3040F6B-751A-4D90-BC8A-6485079DA524.jpeg

So sad.

As of this writing, there are 2 active threads placed right next

to each other. One show about how ‘fab’ her fat life is & another

talking about an unnecessary early death due to morbid obesity.  

It’s also sad that as a Public we want to normalize obesity but yet

we’re shocked when obese people die at a young age.  

And what the kicker is...when eating the correct way

(low calorie density, low fat whole food plant based) is mentioned,

we’re the crazy ones.  The same people who cut out their organs 

and alter their insides are shocked we would prescribe a diet of

very natural means but yet WE’RE the extreme.  

I’ve watched that Houston doctor starve his patients...continually

talking about low carb & getting proteeeein in...for what reason?  

It never works.

Literally the phrase ‘definition of insanity is doing the same thing

over & over again but expecting different results.’  

That’s what low carb is.

My Plant Based forums talk about this from time to time.

So frustrating to see people struggle when the answer is so easy.

We get the weight loss results...by doing it in a healthy & well way.

Many, many times as quick as weight loss surgery w/out altering 

organs. But yet, eating right is ‘extreme’. Smh. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom   I was a skinny kid and never had a weight problem until after I got pregnant. Overnight everything changed for me.  After three children, I went from 105 to 230 lbs.  I am only 5'1".

I don't eat fast food and never did.  I also never over ate and I am active. I have had every medical test in the book and I am healthy.  No one can find a reason for my weight gain.

through trail and error, It was discovered I have Celiac Disease.  You would think that someone who has extreme digestive problems and had food pass through me in about 20 minutes would lose weight, but no, not for me.

I have managed to lose almost 100 lbs and keep it off.  I cannot eat wheat or barley.  oats seem to be okay and tolerated.

i have lost this weight by reducing carbs in my diet.  I do consume lots of veggies, but not many fruits.  I shy away from starchy veggies like legumes.  I love them, but they cause me weight gain as do potatoes and rice and other grains.

I could not do a plant based diet and keep my weight down.

What works for some people or even most people does not work for everyone.  People who are obese often have different problems that cause them to gain.  They might not even be overeating or consuming more calories then their thin friends.

There is a whole lot more to gaining weight that is just coming to the surface.  Maybe some day, there will no overweight people.  I hope so.  

it is so much more complicated than just eating a plant based diet or even a low carb diet.

if I could tolerate a plant based diet I would.  At this point in my  life, I would be happy to just take a pill and not eat at all.  Food is a source of anything but pleasure for me.

My siblings, my children and my husband are all thin, so why not me?

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I think his biggest problem was his mom.  She's the one that overfed him all that food & made him dependent on her for everything & when she died, he'd never learned any life skills for taking care of himself & he was just lost. 

His big goal on the last show I watched of him after his mom had died was getting approved for a nursing home, so someone else would take care of him. That's sad when someone so young just wants to live out their life in a nursing home being cared for.  I wonder if his mom had that Munchausen By Proxy where the mom makes their kid sick to gain attention?  His was just a very sad story all the way around.

I think Dr Now pretty much SAID she did.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie 

There is so much more to Bariatric Medicine than many people realize.

We are so much more than just the food we eat.

I wish you well in your journey.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Javala   Thanks for the reference.  You are right....portioning out 1200 calories of just protein makes you sick and hungry.  It is not a solution.  OMAD works....you're body laterally consumes the fat the rest of the day (autophagy).  A big green salad works...nutrient dense and filling.  I cringe that Dr. Now's patients are not consuming their greens...they must be so constipated.  

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Javala   Thanks for the reference.  You are right....portioning out 1200 calories of just protein makes you sick and hungry.  It is not a solution.  OMAD works....you're body laterally consumes the fat the rest of the day (autophagy).  A big green salad works...nutrient dense and filling.  I cringe that Dr. Now's patients are not consuming their greens...they must be so constipated.  

ITA.

Some stories show where the patients have to consume a

low-calorie diet before surgery....and they lose a lot of weight..

but then continue to cut out their organs.  

I’m thinking, ‘just continue with the low-calorie diet...

were doing fine with the risk of surgery!!!’   

Stuns me people think this is their only option. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to watch this show a lot.  I remember one beautiful 25 or 26 year old girl that died.  I'm hoping these stories are wake-up calls.  The thread that ties all these stories together is an enabling care-giver.  They should also be actively involved in counseling to find out why they think its OK to keep feeding someone like this.  Carmie, I'm happy for you.  I have a friend with celiac disease, she was not overweight, but her life has changed for the better since she started her new eating program without wheat.