Honored Contributor

You Tube (sorry, I wrote the wrong one) show on Wallis Simpson

[ Edited ]

This subject is so interesting to me.  This is from her viewpoint, sounds like she was trapped into this marriage.  They both are interesting people or were.  See the last post, I put in more info.  Not on Net Flix, but on You Tube. Message #11.  My mouse will no longer help me copy and paste.

Honored Contributor

Re: Net Flix show on Wallis Simpson

@qualitygal   That is an unexpected perspective, I'll have to take a look...thanks for your share!

Super Contributor

Sounds interesting. What is the name of show? I didn't see anything except movie called W/E, I that it?

Esteemed Contributor

I was wondering also, since W/E is a fictionalized historical romance co-produced, written and directed by Madonna, not really a documentary.

WE_film_poster.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wonder how fictionalized this movie is.  Wallis was not a helpless little wallflower (pardon the pun) to be sure.  I wonder if mention is made of Wallis and the Duke’s fascination with Hitler et al, and their trip to meet this maniac.  A truthful historical fact that has most agreeing his abdication was very positive for theBritish people.

Esteemed Contributor

From Variety's review:

"Aware that most audiences today think of Edward as a Nazi sympathizer, the script acknowledges his reputation but airily dismisses it as mere “rumors,” and conveniently ignores matters of historical record, such as the fact that the duke and duchess were honored guests of Hitler at his Berchtesgaden retreat as late as 1937."

Respected Contributor

I have read that the reason he abdicated was because he was sterile and could not produce an heir to the throne.  The storyline of he could not be without the woman he loved was all a lie.  It was a nice excuse to abdicate the throne while still looking like a true romantic.

Honored Contributor

I've read a couple of bios on Wallis and she was a fascinating woman, and an interesting character with quite a history. Some biographers have posited the relationship went further than she ever intended or that once it had reached its zenith she wished she could opt out but that things had gone too far to end it. Others, of course, have her coveting the role of royal consort. Could be that once it became clear it would be hard to back out, she figured 'in for a penny, in for a pound', but of course Parliament stepped in to deny her any real title or role in the royal household, forcing, many believe, the abdication. I've heard the sterile rumor before but even were the Duke of Windsor sterile, it wouldn't have mattered, as the line of succession would have proceeded just as it did, with the monarchy being assumed by his brother's eldest child, the current queen.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

From what I'm reading about this film, W/E, those interested in the couple would be better served by reading some of the many biographies.

However, the costume design is said to be exquisite,  with Madonna demanding accurate, detailed reproductions of Wallis's wardrobe. 

Respected Contributor

Considering Mrs, Simpson was 41 at the time of her marriage in 1937 to the Duke of Windsor and this was her THIRD marriage, children do not appear to be a priority for her.