Honored Contributor

Yet Another TV Show About the Jeffrey MacDonald Case

I was reading about upcoming TV shows and found this press release from FX, which reads in part as follows: "The notorious case has already inspired a TV miniseries and two well-known books. ...
The five-part docuseries "Wilderness of Error," which is based on the book by documentary filmmaker Errol Morris, is likely to revive interest in one of true crime's foundational stories." (FX Sept. 25)

Hmmm I wonder given the title with "error" in it, whether this is going to be sympathetic to MacDonald? The case is now approx 50 years old (hard to believe).
The two little girls, had they lived, would be middle-aged women now.
Honored Contributor

Re: Yet Another TV Show About the Jeffrey MacDonald Case

@Pearlee   I don't understand why this monster has been given continuing coverage, certainly there are other cases that could be shown, instead of rehashing this and other cases of yesteryear.  The tv miniseries was great viewing, still watch it from time to time, but won't watch any show MacDonald is on, he is guilty as anyone can be and more.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl. And in addition. What could they possibly make that's better than Fatal Vision? It is excellent. (And nobody would be better as Freddie K. than Karl Malden!)
Trusted Contributor

Gary Cole as Mc Donald was great, too. The movie was as good as the book, not always the case.

Honored Contributor

He was up for parole this past May.  Unknown if it was held, denied and/or Covid cancelled. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

He was up for parole this past May.  Unknown if it was held, denied and/or Covid cancelled. 

@Mz iMac   He should never be up for parole.  If it were State prison, he would be dead as he would have been given the death penalty, wasn't allowed in Federal.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@candyagain wrote:

Gary Cole as Mc Donald was great, too. The movie was as good as the book, not always the case.

@candyagain...I agree, both were fantastic...I was totally mesmerized by the original book, Fatal Vision, as well as the TV mini-series....Excellent cast...Gary Cole was terrific as Jeffrey McDonald, so I can't even imagine anyone else playing the part.

@Pearlee... Thanks for the heads-up!...I made note of it so will definitely be checking into it.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee  I don't have the channel FX so will not be watching this, and even if I did, may not watch, though as horrific as this case is, it is mesmerizing.

Honored Contributor

Both versions of Fatal Vision are available......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=027Np89ofkI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Us0yFa1GM

In case anyone is interested.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@candyagain You are so right about Gary Cole; I'm glad you mentioned him. For some reason, whenever I think of that show (which I agree was as great as the book) Malden's powerful, emotional performance and his persistence to get justice for Collette and the girls, immediately comes to mind.

@mousiegirl. Perhaps this new show is for a whole generation of people who may not even be aware of this case, let alone remember it well, as we on this thread do. Or perhaps it will argue for MacD's innocence with that woman in the big hat argument again. Whatever...Fatal Vision was one of the best things I've ever seen on TV. They shouldn't mess with perfection!

IMO Scott Peterson and Jeffrey MacD have a lot on common. 😔