Honored Contributor

So I'm watching The Voice and I saw the best commercial. It was for a movie named Yesterday. This guy is playing the guitar and singing Yesterday and his friends think he wrote it! What kind of upside down world is it that they have never heard of The Beatles?!!! I really want to see it. 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 -

I went to watch it-very funny but also wonderful listening to all the songs.

Did you see the video right after that (on Youtube) of the Beatles on David Frost singing Hey Jude and it went on forever?

Also the audience was crowding right on top of them towards the end with the never ending chorus.

Bitter- sweet.

And I remembered how much I loved Paul!

Thanks for mentioning thisSmiley Happy

Oh and if you haven't already, be sure to watch James Cordon and Paul McCartney carpool kareoke extended tour of Liverpool-it's really great!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

So I'm watching The Voice and I saw the best commercial. It was for a movie named Yesterday. This guy is playing the guitar and singing Yesterday and his friends think he wrote it! What kind of upside down world is it that they have never heard of The Beatles?!!! I really want to see it. 

I know what you mean. Several years ago I sat next to a twenty five year old at work and one day she said to me: "Did you know that Paul McCartney used to be in another band before Wings?" The gal who sat behind her was my age (grew up in the 60's) and we both burst out laughing.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Jordan2 -

I went to watch it-very funny but also wonderful listening to all the songs.

Did you see the video right after that (on Youtube) of the Beatles on David Frost singing Hey Jude and it went on forever?

Also the audience was crowding right on top of them towards the end with the never ending chorus.

Bitter- sweet.

And I remembered how much I loved Paul!

Thanks for mentioning thisSmiley Happy

Oh and if you haven't already, be sure to watch James Cordon and Paul McCartney carpool kareoke extended tour of Liverpool-it's really great!

@on the bay  No I didn’t see the YouTube video, I have seen the James Corden Carpool Karaoke, I DVR’d it and kept it. I was watching the John and Yoko documentary last night and they had an extended version of the commercial for this movie, I can’t wait to see the movie ( I think it’s a Summer release).

Honored Contributor

I saw the commercial again during The Voice ( The Beatles night). I hope the movie is as good as I hope.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2I saw the commercial and it looks like a good movie.  

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2,   If I understood correctly, evidently something bizarre happens that completely erases The Beatles from history but one person in the world remembers them and their music.   I agree, it looks like a good movie.😊   This synopsis (in the spoiler) from the official movie site:

Spoiler

Yesterday, everyone knew The Beatles.   Today, only Jack remembers their songs.   He’s about to become a very big deal.

From Academy Award®-winning director Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire, Trainspotting, 28 Days Later) and Richard Curtis, the Oscar-nominated screenwriter of Four Weddings and a Funeral, Love Actually and Notting Hill, comes a rock-n-roll comedy about music, dreams, friendship, and the long and winding road that leads to the love of your life.

Jack Malik (Himesh Patel, BBC’s Eastenders) is a struggling singer-songwriter in a tiny English seaside town whose dreams of fame are rapidly fading, despite the fierce devotion and support of his childhood best friend, Ellie (Lily James, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again).

Then, after a freak bus accident during a mysterious global blackout, Jack wakes up to discover that The Beatles have never existed … and he finds himself with a very complicated problem, indeed.

Performing songs by the greatest band in history to a world that has never heard them, and with a little help from his steel-hearted American agent, Debra (Emmy winner Kate McKinnon), Jack’s fame explodes.

But as his star rises, he risks losing Ellie — the one person who always believed in him. With the door between his old life and his new closing, Jack will need to get back to where he once belonged and prove that all you need is love.

Featuring new versions of The Beatles’ most beloved hits...”

(https://www.yesterdaymovie.com/synopsis/)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I saw a preview of this film a while ago at the movies and since then I can't wait to see it.  Release date is 6/28 (I saw that in People magazine).   This film closed the Tribeca Film Festival recently and got a standing ovation (per an article in the NY Post).  

In the preview I saw, the only guy who has heard of the Beatles (Patel) says this line (I'm paraphrasing) addressing it to a young woman:  How have you never heard Yesterday? It's the greatest song ever written.

Since that's my favorite Beatles song, I knew in that moment I had to see this film.  I can't wait! And it'll be so hard not to sing along with the songs!

Honored Contributor

I'm finally going to get to see this movie tonight, it's on HBO at 8:00. I can't wait!

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I'm finally going to get to see this movie tonight, it's on HBO at 8:00. I can't wait!

Thanks @Jordan2   I set up to record at 10pm  (I've got too much recording at 8 already)