Honored Contributor

my husband was watching these radio control airplanes that were very large.  This has always been a part of his life's interests.  He never did one this big.  But he is former military and we went to all the air shows the bases put on and the ones put on by local ANG bases.  Now that is the sort of thing that makes me very emotional.  The pride in watching those Blue Angels for Navy or the Thunderbirds for our Air Force.  The pride in that is very deep and real for me.  

Anyway, it's amazing how large these radio control airplanes can be and how life-like they feel.  

Don't know if anyone else here has that same experience but it is very interesting.

Trusted Contributor

Before covid there was a group that used to fly some in a farmer's field nearby.  Very relaxing to watch.  We enjoyed packing some sandwiches and lawn chairs  and making a pleasant afternoon out of it. 

I agree that some of them look so real once they get up in the sky.

Esteemed Contributor

My dad worked as an ATC at Van Nuys airport in So Cal forever. His name became Papa Alpha and we would go occasionally to watch them there. Bruce Jenner back then had a really big radio control plane. It was fun to watch and the social part was fun.

On another note YouTube is beyond wonderful. Besides the political uneven censorship. But other than that so many wonderful hobbies, interest, communities. Just fantastic.I don't have a tv in my large bathroom and I will watch QVC live on it occasionally.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal    Don't tell your husband but at last October's Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, they demonstrated a radio controlled balloon.  It appeared to be quite large, maybe 15ft high.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

my husband was watching these radio control airplanes that were very large.  This has always been a part of his life's interests.  He never did one this big.  But he is former military and we went to all the air shows the bases put on and the ones put on by local ANG bases.  Now that is the sort of thing that makes me very emotional.  The pride in watching those Blue Angels for Navy or the Thunderbirds for our Air Force.  The pride in that is very deep and real for me.  

Anyway, it's amazing how large these radio control airplanes can be and how life-like they feel.  

Don't know if anyone else here has that same experience but it is very interesting.

I get goosebumps when I see/hear/feel Chinook helicopters or watch a C5 take off or land. 

Our son worked on the control panels of Navy fighter jets and when we visited the NAS, the roar overhead was unbelievable.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@qualitygal    Don't tell your husband but at last October's Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, they demonstrated a radio controlled balloon.  It appeared to be quite large, maybe 15ft high.

@Kachina624 

I almost called out to you the other day.  I had mentioned to my husband about going out to see the balloon fiesta later this year.  He can't do the long drive anymore, he's 1.5 yrs. older than me.  The spirit is willing our bodies aren't.  I know it would be too much for us. Anyway, when is this years?  (He'd love to see that balloon!!) Anyway, we'll look for pictures on here.