Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I just bought a new car (2017 Subaru Forester) in Dec. & it came with a single CD player & the saleslady told me that soon autmakers will no longer put CD players in the new cars at all.  I guess folks play music off of their smartphones these days.  I need a Rent-A-Kid to show me how to do that!  My 2003 car had a 6 CD changer & I miss that. 

Our last 2 cars (GM) did not come with CD players.  They are single disc and are in the glove compartment.  They are a pain to change when you are alone.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I just bought a new car (2017 Subaru Forester) in Dec. & it came with a single CD player & the saleslady told me that soon autmakers will no longer put CD players in the new cars at all.  I guess folks play music off of their smartphones these days.  I need a Rent-A-Kid to show me how to do that!  My 2003 car had a 6 CD changer & I miss that. 

Our last 2 cars (GM) did not come with CD players.  They are single disc and are in the glove compartment.  They are a pain to change when you are alone.

Our last 2 GM's came with CD players, one is 2009, other is 2015, both Chevy Impalas.

Frequent Contributor

I really enjoy this post! I'm an audiophile. Long ago, I reluctantly loaded my music library to an 80GB iPod Classic which they no longer make. I loved the portability of the thing, but it broke. Then I started transferring some of my music to my phone but didn't have nearly enough memory. So, I pretty stopped buying music. But recently, I was in my car and turned on the CD player (which I had not done in quite some time) and I was AMAZED at the sound quality. I was blown away! I had gotten so used to the compressed music files that I downloaded from iTunes that I didn't realize the difference in quality. So now, I'm back to buying CDs. I've been looking for iPod alternatives that you can download high definition audio files to but it's somewhat complicated, so I've been listening to my CDs Smiley Happy

It does make me sad that artists aren't making much money off of their recordings anymore.

Trusted Contributor

I listen to CD's.  I listen to vinyl. Love my old jazz albums.  

Different warmer sound. 

Honored Contributor

@michellegirl wrote:

I really enjoy this post! I'm an audiophile. Long ago, I reluctantly loaded my music library to an 80GB iPod Classic which they no longer make. I loved the portability of the thing, but it broke. Then I started transferring some of my music to my phone but didn't have nearly enough memory. So, I pretty stopped buying music. But recently, I was in my car and turned on the CD player (which I had not done in quite some time) and I was AMAZED at the sound quality. I was blown away! I had gotten so used to the compressed music files that I downloaded from iTunes that I didn't realize the difference in quality. So now, I'm back to buying CDs. I've been looking for iPod alternatives that you can download high definition audio files to but it's somewhat complicated, so I've been listening to my CDs Smiley Happy

It does make me sad that artists aren't making much money off of their recordings anymore.

You can convert compressed files into lossless ones. or you can rip from cd as lossless. Yes they take up more space. I have a 128 GB iphone but the new ones are 256 GB, that's still a lot of music with a typical lossless album taking up about 800 mb, whereas it's still 100 mb for my compressed version. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I think you're confusing CD changer with CD player. Generally speaking, a cd player is any hardware that plays cd's. So if you have something in your glove box that plays a single cd, it's still a cd player. Why any company would put a single disc cd player in the glove compartment is beyond me. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

So I only just got a chance to listen to Divide by Ed Sheeran. I can't say how much I love him, his voice and he is such a great storyteller in the composing of his songs. This CD is outstanding, but the last song Supermarket Flowers really got to me. It is a profoundly sad song ( makes me cry) speaking about losing his mum, which got me thinking is this song autobiographical?

Respected Contributor

Yes,I still buy CD's and DVDs too!  I'm old school and I just don't like paying money and not having a tangable item in my posession.

Honored Contributor

Re: Yes, I Still Buy CDs

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

So I only just got a chance to listen to Divide by Ed Sheeran. I can't say how much I love him, his voice and he is such a great storyteller in the composing of his songs. This CD is outstanding, but the last song Supermarket Flowers really got to me. It is a profoundly sad song ( makes me cry) speaking about losing his mum, which got me thinking is this song autobiographical?

have no idea,

check the internet

I have a feeling it's just a song,

TBH it's not one of my fave ES songs, although it's wonderfully done, so I never bothered researching it.

I like What do I know 

if you do 

follow up here

Honored Contributor

I still buy them for a couple of reasons but one is discovery. How many times have you purchased a cd [or before then an lp] for one record and discovered two, three, or four more which you like equally or better?

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.