Honored Contributor

Re: 🌹🌻 YOUNG & RESTLESS AUGUST 2020 w/ SPOILERS 🌻🌹

[ Edited ]

...I have no idea what WItchtoria has done with her hair but someone really needs to hold her down and cut most of it off... She has too much of it and not only does the bottom not match the top of her head, but it looks over-processed... 

...I see we're back YET again, to the endless discussions involving CEO's, COO's, Chairmen and so on... Tedious...

...Nicki Newman, former stripper, running operations at Newman, yea, that'll work... How long 'till she starts tipping the bottle again... Laughed out loud at Miss Vicki referring to the two of them as two strong women running Newman... Neither of them strikes me as being particularly well fortified...

...REALLY wish they'd wrap up Sharon's health crisis and Adam's murderous past... Both stories have run their course and neither of them has been interesting...

...Please, recast Chance... That could be a prime character but for the wooden acting...

...About the only thing it appears there is to look forward to is Victor ripping Miss Vicki a new one... The witch is out of control...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interesting stuff @loveschocolate... So the Sally Spectra actress is going to surface on Y&R... Always thought she'd be a shoe-in to play Summer if the current Summer split again for another nighttime gig... Still think she potentially works wonderfully as a relation to Phyllis...

Honored Contributor

Young and Restless spoilers for Monday August 24:

In Monday’s Y&R recap, Adam has a disturbing memory and two people rush to the clinic!

Adam heads into dangerous territory with Sharon.

Devon questions Nate’s relationship with Amanda.

Victoria and Billy come together over a crisis.

The show could be headed toward an Adam and Sharon reunion.

Young and Restless spoilers for Tuesday August 25:

Phyllis gets help from Nick to put a plan in motion.

Amanda and Elena find common ground.

A new chapter starts for Traci.

It’s Newman Vs. Newman now that Victor and Nikki are on opposite sides!

Young and Restless spoilers for Wednesday August 26:

Victor crosses a line to help Adam.

Summer reaches a surprising decision.

Theo’s tested by Lola.

Young and Restless spoilers for Thursday August 27:

In Kansas, Chelsea makes a stunning discovery.

Billy’s work ethic is challenged by Lily.

Nick gets a warning from Victor.

Young and Restless spoilers for Friday August 28:

Kyle shares a charged moment with Lola.

Phyllis smells success.

Also coming up on Young and Restless:

Sharon rushes to help Adam. After Adam goes missing, Chelsea wants to check for him in Vegas, while Sharon heads to Kansas after borrowing the Newman jet. When Chelsea asks for the jet, she learns that Sharon went to Victor and follows her to Kansas.

Victoria makes an admission.

Amanda and Devon talk about Hilary.

Honored Contributor

Summary for Monday, August 24th from soaps.com:

Chelsea arrives at the penthouse as Adam wakes up. He’s frustrated that his memories aren’t coming back. She says he can’t rush it and assures him he will be okay. After he falls back to sleep, he has bad memories and wakes up, telling her that he’s started to remember. Leaping up, he declares that he has to see Sharon and rushes out.

At Sharon’s, she thanks Rey for breakfast in bed. He says she’s getting strong enough and she won’t need anyone to look after her soon. He tells her to take the day off and relax. She’s eager to get back to work with Adam but promises to take it easy. Before he can leave, he makes her promise to stay on the couch and relax. Moments after he’s gone, Adam barges in and says that he’s got memories coming back. She gets him to slow down. He’s distraught and begs for help. As they sit on the couch, she gets him to walk through his memories again. He can remember being under the table as a child while AJ threatened his mom. Adam gets livid as he remembers lashing out at AJ and then runs out Sharon’s door.

Amanda and Nate are having breakfast at Society. She’s not used to being awake this early. He’s already late for work and leaves.

Devon drops by the clinic to see Elena. They make out. After he leaves, Nate arrives and they chat about his breakfast with Amanda.

Devon finds Amanda at Society and they chat about her new job. He talks about how much Katherine would enjoy her tenaciousness. They discuss Lily and he gets nostalgic about Neil. The topic turns to Nate and then to Hilary. She apologizes for bringing up Hilary. They laugh about that. It gets a little awkward as he repeatedly insists that he’s happily taken, not an eligible bachelor. He hopes that Nate will find happiness too.

Victoria wanders into Crimson Lights. She runs into Billy and they discuss her father and then their daughter. This quickly turns into them bickering and he walks out. Later, Chelsea meets with Rey to talk about Adam. She admits that she’s not comfortable with Adam working with Sharon and guesses he isn’t either. He claims that it doesn’t bother him and is determined to support her choices. She’s worried that Sharon has set something in motion. Rey looks worried when she points out that Sharon and Adam are alone together right now. Chelsea doesn’t think that either of them have a healthy perspective when they are together.

Victoria is at her office when Billy calls to say their daughter has been stung by a bee and seems to be having an allergic reaction. She runs out.

Victoria joins Billy at the clinic. After she checks with Nate, she returns and Billy tells her how hard it was to see Katie being unable to breathe. The parents talk about their daughter. Victoria admits she’s already given up on being mad at Billy. She’s started to accept who they are instead of who she thought they could be. After they leave, Nate and Elena congratulate themselves on what a great job they’ve done. She doesn’t think there are enough people in the world like him.

Rey returns to Sharon’s and can see that she’s upset. She admits she’s concerned about Adam because he’s in a bad place. He worries that she’s too close to this and should let Chelsea take care of Adam. Chelsea shows up. Adam has disappeared. Sharon can’t tell her anything, which irritates Chelsea, who leaves to find him.

On the next The Young and the Restless: Amanda and Elena come together and establish some common ground.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I realize I can't speak for Young and Restless viewers everywhere, but I read these alleged spoilers and I just don't see how anyone connected with decision making, writing or producing this soap can expect repeatedly more lame than lame show content to keep viewers watching. There is just nothing, literally nothing hooking me in to this show anymore and there hasn't been for ages. I'm hanging on, I guess, just to be hanging on, because this is just so very bad. The characters are boring and largely unlikable and the story lines are flat out not compelling at all and a big part of the reason is that the audience hasn't any level of commitment to many of the characters. For years, they've shoved character development to the back burner in favor of plot driven story lines and now those hens have come home to roost, because viewers no longer really care about the characters and the plots are redundant, often badly written, not interesting and frankly, frequently just plain stupid.

Respected Contributor

Maybe, they need to just start writing the COVID pandemic into the storylines.  I noticed at the end of Friday's show, when they were showing a preview of next week's shows, Phyllis was in the lobby of her stupid hotel lobby talking to a bunch of women, they were all sitting or standing 6 ft. apart.  It looked really odd.

Frequent Contributor

Theo--greasy and obnoxious!!  Why is he still on the show?!!!!  

Scenes with Lola andTheo make me hit the FF button.

Frequent Contributor

You hit the nail on the head when referencing "character development".  These current writers are not talented enough to do this apparently.  I saw an interview with Bill Bell many years ago and he talked about how important it is to keep the core characters true to their nature. Nowadays the writers concoct some ridiculous plot and then fit any character to it.  Such a shame!!!   

Honored Contributor

@luvdavid wrote:

You hit the nail on the head when referencing "character development".  These current writers are not talented enough to do this apparently.  I saw an interview with Bill Bell many years ago and he talked about how important it is to keep the core characters true to their nature. Nowadays the writers concoct some ridiculous plot and then fit any character to it.  Such a shame!!!   

Exactly. I read where one of the actresses who left opted out when a story line ostensibly written for her character was ipso facto pulled and assigned to another character. That is not how a story is supposed to be written. I think when soaps became less like little hour long plays and more like movies, with scenes filmed out of sequence and so on, they lost their way. They became more a child of technology than a craft... I've read where another of the long term very competent and successful soap writers, Doug Marland, had a list of 'dos and don'ts' for successful soap writing and it seems today's writers break every single rule... It shows... The old New York based Procter and Gamble soaps were the best... They literallly were like seeing a play unfold before you every day... 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Note to Y&R and B&B writers... Here are Doug Marland's tips on successful soap writing found on Soaps.com... Read it... Heed it... PLEASE...

The rules:

Watch the show.

Learn the history of the show. You would be surprised at the ideas that you can get from the back story of your characters.

Read the fan mail. The very characters that are not thrilling to you may be the audience’s favorites.

Be objective. When I came in to ATWT, the first thing I said was, what is pleasing the audience? You have to put your own personal likes and dislikes aside and develop the characters that the audience wants to see.

Talk to everyone; writers and actors especially. There may be something in a character’s history that will work beautifully for you, and who would know better than the actor who has been playing the role?

Don’t change a core character. You can certainly give them edges they didn’t have before, or give them a logical reason to change their behavior. But when the audience says, He would never do that, then you have failed.

Build new characters slowly. Everyone knows that it takes six months to a year for an audience to care about a new character. Tie them in to existing characters. Don’t shove them down the viewers’ throats.

If you feel staff changes are in order, look within the organization first. P&G (Procter & Gamble) does a lot of promoting from within. Almost all of our producers worked their way up from staff positions, and that means they know the show.

Don’t fire anyone for six months. I feel very deeply that you should look at the show’s canvas before you do anything.

Good soap opera is good storytelling. It’s very simple.