Honored Contributor

Re: YOUNG & RESTLESS AUGUST 2017 SPOILERS!!!

[ Edited ]

@aubnwa01 wrote:

Looks like Y&R is getting a new head writer.  Sally Sussman & Kay Alden are retiring & Mal Young  will be the new head writer.

This smells of something... Sussman and Alden have only been on the job since last year... Young took over as the producer when Jill Phelps got the boot so he's been around the whole time... AND he was actually there for part of the same time that Phelps was... but he didn't appear to make much of a difference... I'd say something is up... LIke maybe Sussman and Alden either didn't get along with Young or didn't get the deal they wanted... I'm not sure this is a good thing... As lame as things have been, at least Alden knew the show's history and Sussman knew some of it... Both had written for the show before... and Alden more or less wrote along side Bill Bell... Young is a British import with no real ties to American soaps prior to this assignment... And frankly, his track record in the UK wouldn't appear to have been all that extensive... Besides, both Sussman and Alden's supposed reasons for leaving sound pretty trumped up... "Spending more time with family..." and "pursuing other interests..." tend to translate into something else... We might find we'd have been better off had they remained and he left... This show just can't seem to find any kind of a winning combination...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Some of the spoiler sites are indicating Young's 'vision' for the show wasn't being realized... We can only hope his 'vision' doesn't turn out to be more of a hallucination... It was also implied that Sussman's lack of interest in resurrecting the Adam Newman character might've been an issue... Personally, I never cared if she brought back Adam and actively hope they don't reinstall Muhney, but she failed over the time she was there to introduce even a single interesting and well cast male character... And still, no hunks... I hope Young at least delivers us a couple of hot guys... I also hope they're able to desmonstrate at least some continuity when this change takes place. The lack of continuity and consistency has been a major problem for most of us, particularly when characters behave in ways that are grossly inconsistent with their history.

Honored Contributor

I watched today because my G: had a small part.  Who was that girl with the big bazoomas in the swim suit.  She was in a bikini top. Sitting next to a man, they were both talking to a blond women.  I think the man was talking computer stuff. 

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty, that's Abby Newman....Victor and Ashley's daughter.

Honored Contributor

Summary for Wednesday, August 2nd from soaps.com:

At Cane and Lily’s place, Victoria and Billy reveal the details of Cane’s dealings with Jesse. Billy tells Lily he’s sorry, and it comes out that Cane paid Jesse $25,000 today. Once Billy and Victoria go, Lily, choked up, says she doesn’t even know who Cane is anymore. She confronts him about using the twins’ school money to pay off his blackmailer and lying to her face. Cane’s hated himself for every lie, but was scared to lose her. Lily spits, “Stop using that as an excuse.” As he pleads, Lily cries – she can’t take it anymore. Disgusted, she rants about him putting himself and his fears first, and orders him to pack his bags and go. “Just get out!"

In the Club dining room, Phyllis works to sell Lauren on the idea of Chelsea designing exclusively for Fenmore’s. Lauren warns she has to be cautious, and they shudder at how close they came to making a deal with shyster Benjamin Hochman. Talk turns to Brash & Sassy’s troubles. Phyllis confides that Victoria and Billy work 15 hour days to keep it afloat, and ‘her majesty’ doesn’t mind one bit. Later, Victoria and Billy arrive and worry about Lily. Vikki is glad she knows, but feels it’s awful her family’s falling to pieces. Nearby, Phyllis sees Lauren off and watches the duo interact. Phyllis joins them and Billy offers Vikki a ride home with them. She assures Phyllis she’s feeling fine and laughs at Billy fussing over her.

At Crimson Lights, Reed lets Mattie know he prefers her to his groupies. Charlie appears, and calls a truce with Reed. On the patio, Sharon, Scott, and Paul discuss the situation with Crystal. Sharon feels responsible for her safety and implores Paul to help her find the girl…tonight. Paul puts out a dispatch on her. Sharon laments Crystal being forced into prostitution. Scott wants to help Sharon make a difference by writing about it. Inside, Charlie recognizes Juliet from the pool bar. Reed asks Mattie why her brother’s talking to her. They walk over. Reed identifies Juliet as the one who sued his mom, and Mattie pipes up, “And the one our dad got pregnant.” Juliet tries to make nice with ‘the wonder twins’, but they all gang up on her. Juliet’s sorry they got hurt.

Outside, Lauren arrives and teases Scott about whether he’s moved out. He talks up Sharon’s work on the hotline, and Paul heads off with Lauren to catch up. Sharon and Scott canoodle. In a booth, Paul snickers that Lauren’s involvement in Scott’s love life reminds him of his mother. Lauren denies being like Mary Williams. Paul relays that he’s proud of Sharon and urges Lauren to cut her some slack. At the counter, Scott assures Sharon he won’t be insensitive when reporting on Crystal. When Paul leaves, Sharon gifts Lauren with a dozen brownies, and she in turn, extends a dinner invitation. Scott and Sharon are pleased with ‘baby steps’. Sharon adds, “Go Paul.”

At the pool bar, Zack makes Abby laugh with a story. She’s put out when he asks about her family’s upheaval, but assures him that she’s in Victor’s good books. Zack in turn, reveals he grew up in Chicago, but cuts off to take a call and then has to run. Abby spots Victoria, who seems stressed out, and offers to listen. Vikki fills her in on the whole sordid story and breaks down over keeping the company afloat and feeling so alone. Abby holds her. Victoria mops her nose and thanks her sister before leaving.

At home, Billy has updated Phyllis on the revelations about Cane and goes on and on about everything that happened as a result. Phyllis wants to move on and declares the apartment a Brash & Sassy-free zone. Billy apologizes, but until the company’s back on track, his job has to be his life.

A tearful Lily sits up on the sofa when the twins arrive at home. They want to know what’s wrong. Cane appears with his bags and husks that it’s best he leaves for now. The twins understand Lily needs space and support that. Cane starts heading out for the Chancellor house and chokes up hoping for forgiveness. “I’ll always love you.” The kids rally around their mother. Outside, Cane sobs.

A Look Ahead to Thursday, August 3rd:

Chelsea tells Victoria she’s worried about Nick.

Nick asks Nikki, “So what’s your first step as an independent woman?” He looks dismayed when she replies, “I’m going to spend the day with Jack at the Abbott cabin.”

Abby says to Victor, “Hilary broadcast it on her show.” Victor replies, “With my blessing.”

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@loveschocolate wrote:

http://soaps.sheknows.com/the-young-and-the-restless/news/49945/sally-sussman-kay-alden-out-at-yr-ma...

Yea, whatever... I'm willing to wait and see because the show hasn't been going on all cylinders for a long, long (did I say long...) time... But I'm still trying to figure out what all the 'incredible contributions he's made since joining the team' have been... 

Honored Contributor

@loveschocolate wrote:

Shoekitty asks

How old is her character?

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@loveschocolate wrote:

Shoekitty asks

How old is her character?

With soaps, it's always hard to say, because they play so many games with the character's ages. I'd guesstimate Abby is supposed to be in her mid to late 20's... The actress who plays her is 34...