Honored Contributor

Re: YIKES! I only realized yesterday this popular oldie song is about a pedophile!!!

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Well in their case they both do the grooming, so I guess I'm the boss.......no I should say...."They let me think I'm the boss".

You got that right!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

Re: YIKES! I only realized yesterday this popular oldie song is about a pedophile!!!

@Venezia wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@Starpolisher wrote:

I was raised in the 60's and 70's. I always took it to mean young, sweet, innocent love between a younger girl(high school) and a guy who was a little older(out of high school). Like when my boy friend was 19 and in college, I was sixteen and in high school. My parents thought he was to old and didn't want me to see him. Later when I was 18 and he was 21 it was okay(?) I think OP is reading way to much into the song.

The situation you and a lot of people are describing does not apply because he says "MUCH too young."  And "better run, girl."  Why doesn't HE run?

I understand a lot of people don't agree with me (and maybe it's a thing that some people who lived through the 60s insult someone who doesn't see things the same way they do???) but reasonable people can disagree on this.

"Lolita" is one of the finest pieces of literature ever created.  That does not change the fact that it's protagonist is an unapologetic, indeed gleeful, pedophile.

And Sting has said repeatedly that "Every Breath You Take" is about a stalker but people don't even believe him even though he wrote it!!!  That's how much some people's opinions are unshakeable which is something I don't understand.

He doesn't "run" because she's at his place!  If you took the time to examine the rest of the lyrics, you might come to a different conclusion.  You've just chosen to pick out a couple of lyrics and make an absurd accusation.

And I think your remark about "some people who lived through the 60s" is insulting.

At any rate, I can't believe you're even serious and I think you've just started this thread to stir the pot, so I'm done.  (And heaven help you, if you are serious.  I can't imagine what other conclusions you'll jump to.  Do you spend your time looking for nasty underlying meanings?  Just referring to your comments about other artists.)

Venezia, I know you said you're done but since you're probably still here:  I just re-read the lyrics and nowhere does it say she's at his house.  They could be anywhere.  My comment about people in the 60s was in response to those who say it couldn't be because it was a simpler time.  I do not look for these things, I heard the song and it hit me.   Many artists give away more than they would wish in their words.  I am not stirring the pot but I am very surprised at the strong reactions, sometimes insulting, from those who disagree.

Honored Contributor

Within this thread are examples of people who refuse to see or hear what is obvious.  It's the reason Priests got away with their behavior and fathers, family friends could continue while victims were disbelieved. 

Super Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Within this thread are examples of people who refuse to see or hear what is obvious.  It's the reason Priests got away with their behavior and fathers, family friends could continue while victims were disbelieved. 

Finding evil in this song is only OBVIOUS to those who wish to seek out evil intent behind every rock.  It is akin to the ACLU who does that, but in reverse.  They seek to remove good, trying to make it appear as evil.  

Those of us who did not find this song to be about pedophiles are not condoning bad behavior when it does exist, so to suggest otherwise is an exaggeration.  I'm tell you that in the 60's, morality was much more prevalent than it is today and most people were naive and innocent about pedophilia, whether or not you choose to believe it.

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Honored Contributor

This song is about the very opposite of a pedophile.

It says, "Better run," because the male is aware of the female's age, not because he is a pedophile.  If he WERE a pedophile, he would say, "Stay."

Your original post makes no sense.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

If you really want to take apart a Union Gap song, what about "This Girl is a Woman Now"...specifically...

This girl tasted love
As tender as the gentle dawn
She cried a single tear
A teardrop that was sweet and warm
Our hearts told us we were right
And on that sweet and velvet night
A child had died
A woman had been born

But, remember...it is just a song.  I do. 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Trusted Contributor

I loved most of the songs from the 60's and 70's!  I could understand the lyrics and I could sing along!  It was an innocent time for me, and I was naive as well, but I guess I never interpreted the songs, I just enjoyed them!

Gary Puckett and the Union Gap was one of my favorites back then.  I loved the songs of the Supremes and so many others.  I can rarely understand the lyrics of today's songs.  I currently still have many record albums from the 60's.  As my little grandson said when he saw them:  "Those are extinct"!!!   hmmmmmm... I keep saying it was the best of times back then (and the best of music)!   JMO

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'll say this for Lori--she got people thinking and talking! 

My question is this...if the song were about a pedophile (which I doubt and really don't care) so what? Are songs lyrics only allowed to be about sweetness and light? Hardly. Music is an art form, a place where questionable morality abounds. 

Movies depict rape, murder, dismemberment and books are written about the same. Classical artworks showcase nudes and people engaging in s3x acts--sometimes with things other than people. Michelangelo comes to mind. Should we throw a towel over them so no one sees? 

I guess I don't get the outrage. If the writer was actually a pedophile and wrote about his crimes that would be different but he wasn't. I was curious about this so I Googled it and had to laugh at what I read. One site came up that said something like "Secretly Horrifying Lyrics." Really? Secret? The words in question here are not in some other language, you don't have to play them backward, and they're the first words of the song! If you're going to attribute some nefarious meaning to the lyric you wouldn't have to be a detective since they're quite easy to hear and understand.

Apparently what is more difficult for some is deciding what true meaning is, and like most art forms, people interpret things differently. But again, IF the song actually was about pedophile...so what? 

Regular Contributor

Actually this song was for me in the 60's. I was in High School, a good student who loved "bad Boys". I fell in love with a sailor who had finished his tour and hung around our school where some of his friends were. I loved him and I know he felt the same. We were together my entire senior year and spent most nights making out in his car. It always got so hot and heavy and there were many times that I would have "gone all the way" with him. I actually had to run and went away to college. I loved him and still think of him and wonder what would have happened if we both had not come to our senses.

Respected Contributor

"With all the charms of a woman, You're just a baby in disguise.  You led me to believe you're old enough to give me love,  and now it hurts to know the truth.

Young girl......"  

NOT A PEDOPHILE.