Esteemed Contributor

Re: YIKES! I only realized yesterday this popular oldie song is about a pedophile!!!

I just watched the video on YouTube, and it features an older teenager.  One of the comments said it should be played for Kylie Jenner (guessing it's a reference to her relationship with 25 year-old Tyga before she was 18).  

Honored Contributor

Re: YIKES! I only realized yesterday this popular oldie song is about a pedophile!!!

I started hearing about this song and the insinuation to all of this maybe 6 months ago.

Like I said, the only real way you know is to ask the person who wrote the song.

Honored Contributor

Apparently, there are some "lyrical watchdogs" who are going around analyzing the lyrics of songs from previous times from the viewpoint of today. I can think of a lot of singers who sang about teen romance. I think it's TERRIBLE that they are doing this. Of course, most of these so-called "experts" are in their 20's or 30's. LOL! 

As many posters have already said, it was a different day and time. Weren't there a lot of hit songs about teen romance? I am not that musical, but I love music and listen to all kinds. I sing along with songs I've heard played over and over on the radio, including this one. 

OP - have you thought about some other classics? What about the "Rolling Stones' "Brown Sugar" ("... girl you taste so good like a young girl should...")? The Stones would probably never get away with that today, but it was a hit for them. There are so many others. 

And if we're REALLY talking about songs with questionable lyrics. let's get started on some of the lyrics of songs my millenials listen to!!! Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

beach-mom....Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

I hear this song A LOT.  I never liked it but I also never realized the lyrics present us with a pedophile and maybe worse:

Young girl get out of my mind

My love for you is way out of line

Better run, girl

You're much too young, girl

Did everyone else realize it?  Why do they still play it?  "Better run, girl" or what????

Are you SERIOUS?  Why don't you listen to the rest of the lyrics or doesn't that "fit" with your ridiculous accusation?

"With all the charm of a woman...you kept the secret of your youth.  You lead me to believe you're old enough to give me love and now it hurts to know the truth."

So who was doing the chasing and who was doing the running?

Good heavens!  People will find the nastiest meaning in the most innocent things. 

I love this song and many others from Gary Puckett and the Union Gap and I'll listen to them forever!  Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

Well, we all know that if it's on the internet it MUST be true.  Good grief!

Honored Contributor

Well that's not as bad as Neil Diamond saying (in 2007) that Sweet Caroline was written for Caroline Kennedy in 1969 (who was 11 years old at the time).

Then he took it back.

Then he sang it to her on her 50 birthday.  Ick.

Honored Contributor

Well let's look at it this way!  With all of the smut in so many of today's songs we won't have to look back and wonder what the meaning behind them was because they say it out loud.  Don't they?  Yet, no one seems to be bothered by it.

I'm far from a prude.  But some of the stuff that's out there now is just junk.  People are called "stars" and in a year no one knows who they are.

The only good thing about some of the junk sung is it doesn't last very long.

There is some wonderful amazing young people singing wonderful music today.  Too bad it seems like some of it is overlooked because of some of the trash.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it could be offensive to other posters

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

lovescats.....I do too....I have 2 of them!  My boy (Billy) drives me crazy!  He's like a kid.  Everywhere I go, he goes, right under my feet.  He's never been hurt, so no matter how much I say, "Bill!  Do you understand it is impossible for two objects to occupy the same space?  I cannot move?"  He stands there!  Then when I do move he zig zags in front of me!

I was just today at dinner telling a friend that I used to crochet long scarves while watching TV.  Nothing fancy just long scarves for my arthritic hands!  I was just telling her I should get them out as my hands need the exercise!

Right now I don't know where Bill is.  I think his stomach is full so he's probably somewhere looking for trouble!  He has no fear.  He jumps up on everything!  He knocks off everything!  He's naughty but I wouldn't trade that little boy for a $million dollars!  Ha!  The girl (who's supposed to be his sister) is psycho.  She ONLY loves him (grooms him) sleeps with him, etc.  He ALLOWS her to love him!  Ha!  Bill is orange and his sister is black and white (I am so glad I adopted them together because she's so weird my friend said no one would have taken her (they were 5 years old).  

Anyway, when I read your post I had to tell you about my babies.  I think I might get out my crochet needles and try it.  If I go crazy the last words I'm going to say is "Contact LovesCats on the QVC Forum....she'll help me".  Ha!

I've read that the cat who does the grooming is the boss.