Respected Contributor

Re: YIKES! I only realized yesterday this popular oldie song is about a pedophile!!!

You're quite correct, hobbies are expensive. If you are on limited means, you'll have to find something inexpensive. But I wasn't talking about finance, I was talking about getting out of one's own head and into the world to interact, become curious, learn something and stop having thoughts such as "Young Girl" is about a pedophile, which is a very dark (and to me, misdirected) thought. Thinking such as that can't make you very happy or bring happiness to others. Hobbies can help. 

Nice way to divert the conversation, however. 

Honored Contributor

Re: YIKES! I only realized yesterday this popular oldie song is about a pedophile!!!

To the people who were listening to the song when it was written, and played on the radio, such an interpretation probably never entered anyone's head - not the songwriter, the listeners, or the DJs. 

Viewing something written in the 60's through a microscope 50+ years in the future is projecting now onto then.

Did what the OP suggested happen in the 60's? Of course it did. It's happened throughout history, before it had a name. But if you think people deliberately wrote songs about it and these songs were played on the radio - SMH.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Campion wrote:

You're quite correct, hobbies are expensive. If you are on limited means, you'll have to find something inexpensive. But I wasn't talking about finance, I was talking about getting out of one's own head and into the world to interact, become curious, learn something and stop having thoughts such as "Young Girl" is about a pedophile, which is a very dark (and to me, misdirected) thought. Thinking such as that can't make you very happy or bring happiness to others. Hobbies can help. 

Nice way to divert the conversation, however. 

Wow, Campion, I just learned something.  As different as I am from you we both have something in common:  You think my thoughts are misdirected and I think yours are.  I posted an honest opinion (which reasonable people, and you are not one) can disagree with.  I'm very happy and bring joy to many others.  You, on the other hand, spend your time trolling others on the internet.  Who's the sad one?

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

To the people who were listening to the song when it was written, and played on the radio, such an interpretation probably never entered anyone's head - not the songwriter, the listeners, or the DJs. 

Viewing something written in the 60's through a microscope 50+ years in the future is projecting now onto then.

Did what the OP suggested happen in the 60's? Of course it did. It's happened throughout history, before it had a name. But if you think people deliberately wrote songs about it and these songs were played on the radio - SMH.

I was a baby when that song came out so I can only view it through a prism.  "Better run girl" -- why can't he walk away?  I just find it creepy and totally respect that you don't.  

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

I hear this song A LOT.  I never liked it but I also never realized the lyrics present us with a pedophile and maybe worse:

Young girl get out of my mind

My love for you is way out of line

Better run, girl

You're much too young, girl

Did everyone else realize it?  Why do they still play it?  "Better run, girl" or what????

Oh, for the love of G O D .............. you're kidding, right?!

Honored Contributor

never thought of it that way......never will.......and i seriously doubt that the songwriter thought of it that way either.

interestingly, this song was sung on an episode of full house.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Remember  the old Steve Lawrence hit, Go Away Little Girl, same kind of premise and lyrics, but no shame there either. Just a younger girl having a crush on an older guy.

Honored Contributor

Shelbelle wrote:

Remember  the old Steve Lawrence hit, Go Away Little Girl, same kind of premise and lyrics, but no shame there either. Just a younger girl having a crush on an older guy.

donny osmond also had a hit with that same song.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Love that! Great post!!! True, true.

Honored Contributor

No, I listened to it in the 60's when I was a teenager and never thought it was about a pedophile... I romantically thought about an 18 year old boy if I was 16 and how romantic that would be... had no idea "back in the day" about laws regarding "of age" either.  For that matter, I guess I was a prude... romance meant holding hands and whispering "sweet nothings" to me back then.  

We did not have "junk" culture so relentlessly or graphically thrown at us back then.  I wish it were different for kids today.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~