Honored Contributor

Re: YIKES! I only realized yesterday this popular oldie song is about a pedophile!!!

I'm siding with the OP. Much too young isn't a couple of years, and way out of line isn't young love. It's a smarmy song as is that Sting thing, Don't Stand So Close to Me.

Occasional Contributor

Re: YIKES! I only realized yesterday this popular oldie song is about a pedophile!!!

I agree!

Honored Contributor

I just am not going to accept songs being ruined for me that have good memories (memories that are very innocent)

Someone told me that the song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" was about LSD and "Puff the Magic Dagon" was about "Mary Jane!" -- well, I have never said I wasn't naive!

Many famous artists lead "smarmy" lives and their lives led them to greatness and fame. I can't let this spoil their "art" for me!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

I just am not going to accept songs being ruined for me that have good memories (memories that are very innocent)

Someone told me that the song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" was about LSD and "Puff the Magic Dagon" was about "Mary Jane!" -- well, I have never said I wasn't naive!

Many famous artists lead "smarmy" lives and their lives led them to greatness and fame. I can't let this spoil their "art" for me!

I can not believe anyone doesn't know that Lucy in the Sky is LSD, what do you think Lucy in the sky means? Perhaps a diamond studded kite named Lucy or maybe a new planet named Lucy believed to be rich in diamonds.

Honored Contributor

If it were, then why is he telling her that she's too young for him?

Anyway, it's NOT about a pedophile.  

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

I can not believe anyone doesn't know that Lucy in the Sky is LSD, what do you think Lucy in the sky means? Perhaps a diamond studded kite named Lucy or maybe a new planet named Lucy believed to be rich in diamonds.

I honestly didn't  think anything about the lyrics of a lot of songs. I think most people know that now but everyone wasn't analyzing  the lyrics of  every song back then. Remember that was before the internet.  What did we all  live in a yellow submarine mean?   I don't know?    

Or did everybody know what Jackson Browne was singing about in Rosie when it first came out?

Super Contributor

As one who was a teen in the 60's, I had an extensive 45 record collection and could tell you the names of every hit song and the flip side of the record, too, I NEVER, EVER, EVER would have considered this song to be about a pedophile!!!  

The 60's were a time of innocence where sex outside of marriage was a disgrace, and there were names for girls that did such things.  Unmarried women who got pregnant were too ashamed to even have their name printed in the newspaper and they'd go away until they had the baby and put it up for adoption (usually).  Today, pregnancy without marriage is flaunted, as well as living together without marriage.  In the 60's, it was so rare, I never met anyone who moved in together unless they were married..

I must have sang along with the song in question a hundred times or more, and only thought that the girl was too young for the guy, and he was attracted to her, but knew it wouldn't work out.

Another song from that era, "Born Too Late" dealt with a girl having a crush on an older guy and she was wishing he'd wait for her to grow up.  It was the Young Girl song in reverse, I guess.

To the OP, I hope you're not going to next imply that Manley who married Laura Ingalls when she was so young was also a pedophile.  

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Honored Contributor

lovescats.....I do too....I have 2 of them!  My boy (Billy) drives me crazy!  He's like a kid.  Everywhere I go, he goes, right under my feet.  He's never been hurt, so no matter how much I say, "Bill!  Do you understand it is impossible for two objects to occupy the same space?  I cannot move?"  He stands there!  Then when I do move he zig zags in front of me!

I was just today at dinner telling a friend that I used to crochet long scarves while watching TV.  Nothing fancy just long scarves for my arthritic hands!  I was just telling her I should get them out as my hands need the exercise!

Right now I don't know where Bill is.  I think his stomach is full so he's probably somewhere looking for trouble!  He has no fear.  He jumps up on everything!  He knocks off everything!  He's naughty but I wouldn't trade that little boy for a $million dollars!  Ha!  The girl (who's supposed to be his sister) is psycho.  She ONLY loves him (grooms him) sleeps with him, etc.  He ALLOWS her to love him!  Ha!  Bill is orange and his sister is black and white (I am so glad I adopted them together because she's so weird my friend said no one would have taken her (they were 5 years old).  

Anyway, when I read your post I had to tell you about my babies.  I think I might get out my crochet needles and try it.  If I go crazy the last words I'm going to say is "Contact LovesCats on the QVC Forum....she'll help me".  Ha!

Valued Contributor

My opinion has always been that this song is about a girl under the age of 18 but looks much older attracting a slightly older boy.  He discovers her age and is telling her their can be no relationship regardless of how he feels about her.  Pedophile I don't feel comes into play at all in this.   If you goose you will find the original song and it shows video of stuffed animals and dolls but a girl that certainly looks older than her age.  I know my daughters have always looked older than their age.   Regardless, I LOVE this song and was happy to hear it again and sing along.  I wish we had more music like that in this era.  

Honored Contributor

Look!  The only person who really knows is the person who wrote it.  

It was a long time ago.  You can read into it whatever you want.  We could argue this forever.  I used to sing this song.  I'd totally forgotten it.

Thanks!  Now I can't get the dumb song out of my head!  Please someone what's another song I can run in my head?