Honored Contributor

Re: YESTERDAY - MOVIE REVIEW

@granddi wrote:

I'm in the "it was just ok" camp. And I am in the Beatles age group.

It was a giant stretch that the professional music folks did not know that the songs were the Beatles and not originals. And no one ever had heard these songs. 

@granddi   Well, yes it was.   As I posted in my first post, the premise is preposterous!  I agree with you! However, as in many films, you have to "buy into that" in order for the rest of the film to proceeds and, supposedly, it's fun and enjoyable.  While it was a preposterous premise, I think it was a very funny concept for nobody to have ever heard of the Beatles, and a few funny scenes/comments came out of that premise in the film (too few in my opinion -- there should have been more of those).  I did suspend my belief in the impossibility of the premise to enjoy what followed those opening scenes, but yes, it was ridiculous.  People just have to accept that in order to enjoy the rest. 

Thanks for posting your comments. 

Esteemed Contributor

We saw this yesterday,we were three generations and we all loved it.  I thought the music was fantastic. Made me a little misty bringing back those days. Yes,it's a stretch of the imagination but that's why we go to the movies isn't it? 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee 

We saw this movie yesterday! (lol)

I really have no idea which scene at the end is being referred to as shocking and disrespectful?

[I do know now]

Anyway, we thoroughly enjoyed this movie!

I’d say there is a fantasy element that gets one over the hump of taking it too seriously.

Also, didn’t anybody else think Kate McKinnon portrayed a “parody of a Hollywood music producer?”

My impression of Kate McKinnon is that she is probably rebellious and the role fits her irreverent, and rather blithe sense of humor.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

We saw Yesterday with our daughter and her three kids (11, 13 and 15) and the next night our son and daughter in law saw it and we all loved it! I didn't know what the kids would think (They didn't even know the Beatles' names!)  but they do seem to know some Beatle music and they enjoyed it too!

Trusted Contributor

@LTT1, I am not sure if you are serious, but the scene people are referring to is

Spoiler
When he goes to that cottage and meets the person who is there. Many people found that inapproriate and offensive. I found it wonderful.

And, yes, Kate McKinnon was clearly playing that character as over the top as she could.

Honored Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ @Baylie @Pearlee 

Thank you very much for “clueing me in” about the scene people may have found disrespectful or offensive!

I did not find it so...I also found it wonderful! It “made” the movie for us!

The couple we went with were tapping their feet and dancing in place...all of us were!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Baylie wrote:

We saw Yesterday with our daughter and her three kids (11, 13 and 15) and the next night our son and daughter in law saw it and we all loved it! I didn't know what the kids would think (They didn't even know the Beatles' names!)  but they do seem to know some Beatle music and they enjoyed it too!

@Baylie   I love this!   

I'm happy you all enjoyed the film - thanks for posting. Smiley Happy

@Lisa now in AZ   Thank you for being careful not to spoil anything, even in your spoiler (which people irresistibly read, even when they shouldn't).  Smiley Happy   

@LTT1   I just got to the board today.  Yes to Lisa's answer. I was going to respond to your post by stating that it's the scene in an isolated place near a beach, in which Jack is inspired to find a way out of his predicament.

Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday is still doing pretty well at the box office - still in the top 5. I actually googled to make sure I had it high enough and it even looked like it added theaters last weekend.

My problem with Kate McKinnon was that she WAS obviously playing a character. I like @LTT1 ‘s word - a parody. She wasn’t playing the part of an over the top producer. She was playing a parody of an over the top producer. I still stand by my original comment that she reminded me of one of her SNL characters.
Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:
Yesterday is still doing pretty well at the box office - still in the top 5. I actually googled to make sure I had it high enough and it even looked like it added theaters last weekend.

My problem with Kate McKinnon was that she WAS obviously playing a character. I like @LTT1 ‘s word - a parody. She wasn’t playing the part of an over the top producer. She was playing a parody of an over the top producer. I still stand by my original comment that she reminded me of one of her SNL characters.

Thanks for this info, @Alter Ego  .After I saw it, I lost track of how it was doing at the box office.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Shorty2U wrote:

DH and I liked the movie a lot, but that near the end part with that "person" if you get my drift, it bothered me and it bothered my husband too. But I have been reading comments online of people who thought that was heartwarming,and  amazing. DH and I disagree, we thought it was kind of disrespectful/inappropriate. Otherwise we liked the rest of the movie.  To add- DH and I are Beatles fans since day one so maybe thats why we viewed that different from others?

@Shorty2U   I completely agree with your description of that scene.   Although I see the other point of view some people have of it, I share your opinion.

@Lisa now in AZ   I'm very happy that you loved every minute of the film!   There are few films to say that about any more.  I wish like you I could write that, but I had mixed feelings about the film.  

@Pearlee  @Lisa now in AZ I vote for heartwarming and  amazing! It brought me to tears, just the implausible notion of 'what if??...'.