Honored Contributor

Re: YESTERDAY - MOVIE REVIEW

@dulwich. I'm watching this movie on HBO right now for about the millionth time (Beatles music-YAY). Anyway I have a question for you.

The film takes place in England and L.A. It seems like England sure has a lot of American products. The "hero" works in a warehouse store like Costco (which in itself seems very American)
and they are constantly mentioning Amer products. It doesn't seem like we have /use as much English stuff over here as they have /use American stuff over there. Since you live in both places, is this impression I've gotten from the movie true?
Honored Contributor

@dulwich please see my question to you in the post above this one.
Respected Contributor

@Pearlee  I have never, personally, seen Costco in U.K.  Of course all the fast food chains are there now also Home Depot type stores a plenty.

I believe Tesco’s a Brit supermarket - like Safeway’s here - do - or did - have a similar operation Bookers I think it is/was called - but I do not know anyone who uses these type of multi food, etc. shops.  Cannot remember seeing anything except regular food supermarkets  like we have here in London or Cornwall and we have lots of outdoor vegetable markets and smaller food speciality shops.

It maybe different in North of England.  I do not know what Amer products are.

Not much help.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich. The store in supposedly Suffolk where the English guy in the movie works isn't Costco but a warehouse store as they called it or a big box store as we call it based on Costco.
There were also.American products mentioned in the film such as both Pepsi and Coca Cola. Watching the film led me to think the Brits have a lot of American stuff over there.
Respected Contributor

@Pearlee  Oh bl—dy hell wake up England!  On rereading your post  I now get what  â€™Amer products’ means - I thought it was a brand name duh.

Well there are now all the fast food chains plus Starbucks in most of the main cities so you would probaly feel right at home.  We do have our own ‘chains’ too which are not here.   Where we are in Cornwall- not so much more local stuff, pubs, restaurants, market, etc.

As I said I have never seen a big box food store in areas Inhave lived or know if one but I am sure they exist somewhere.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for elaborating. Some day I will do my dream of a Beatles tour of Liverpool and go see for myself what's over there. 🇬🇧