Honored Contributor

Y&R and B&B Not Shown Today In DC Area

Y&R and B&B was not shown in the Washington, DC area because there was a lock down at the VA Hospital today.  Of course it was covered on every channel for hours, repeating the same thing.

We got to see people talking about nothing and from the beginning they were almost sure that it was a false alarm (as they repeated over and over).  So, before noon people were leaving and going home.

Within less than an hour the TV stations were reporting that one person heard a suspicious noise, that was later identified as probably coming from construction work being done in the area.

This is the second time this has happened (in the DC area within a few days).  Everyone sent home early and it was a similar noise.

I think it would be wise to hold seminars and let people hear what it sounds like when an actual gun goes off.  Most people have never heard a gun go off.  They have no idea of what it sounds like.  I can understand that.  Where I live everyone has at least one (usually more guns and knows how to shoot them).

This is going to continue until the powers that be educate these people (there are thousands who work in those buildings alone) so they know the difference between a construction sound and a gun sound.

I think this kind of thing causes undue stress on others.  Especially the Veterans who are in these particular buildings.  If you don't live in this area you have no idea the man hours spent on these false alarms.  Every arm of the police, medical, you name it was there each time.

Don't say well better this than it really happen.  Good grief!  That's a given.  No one would want this thing to be real.  I just think it's going to keep happening because people don't know the sound of a gun going off and they are scared to death in the DC area.  They hold seminars about being alert, etc.  I can understand the heightened awareness, but educate them too.

So, finally, I do know you can catch B&B and Y&R on POP Comcast channel 100 starting 6:30PM EST.

Honored Contributor

Re: Y&R and B&B Not Shown Today In DC Area

The local news media has become utterly ridiculous.  Any little burp and they're all over it, news or not.

Thanks for the heads up though, I'll catch it on POP...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Seeing Y&R and B&B is priority over the safety of the neighboring community?? ! I don't think it was simply mitsaking a sound from construction site-  shootings have been rampant lately. Driving by Walter Reed, I always wondered if this would happen one day- PTSD has all kinds of effects on a person.  I'm shaking my head over this thread. 

Respected Contributor

If you have a tablet there is an App...CBS and you can watch all shows on CBS. Or go to CBS.com and you can watch. Hope this helps 😃
Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

Seeing Y&R and B&B is priority over the safety of the neighboring community?? ! I don't think it was simply mitsaking a sound from construction site-  shootings have been rampant lately. Driving by Walter Reed, I always wondered if this would happen one day- PTSD has all kinds of effects on a person.  I'm shaking my head over this thread. 

I think what irritates people is hijacking ALL programming when there is nothing to add to the story.  For HOURS.  Really, this is unnecessary, plus it encourages other nuts to do it to get the attention and the fame. 

Honored Contributor

You can watch shows on Youtube, I watched today's episode last night!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I don't know what kind of tv connection you have but many satellite and cable companies repeat the soaps in the evenings.  You might check yours.

Respected Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

I am tired too with media every time a burp happens they pound people for hours with their disimformation manufacture before our eyes....

The days of earnest news reporting have left this planet decades ago....

My concern is not so much of the PTSD as the terrorist showing up anywhere unexpectedly...

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

They could say what they need to say and move on.  They can run crawls across the screen unless or until they have something to actually report, but they don't opt to do either. Instead, everything is 'breaking news' when more times than not it isn't news at all.  For heaven's sake, it's gotten so every time it snows they're on half the day talking about the snow.  Reporting the news is one thing, taking over programming for hours on end to say very little, and in situations that are not true emergencies, is rather ridiculous.  Personally, I shake my head over that...  Different strokes.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Well, I was home.  I sat through the entire programming.  I saw (on each channel (not one, not two, not even three channels, CNN, FOX).  There was nothing to report.  A few times they were filing airtime by commenting on how the people leaving were walking (did they seem upset, etc).  It got to the point of "Are you kidding me"?

I have lived in this area all of my life.  I worked for the governmnent.  My next door neighbor was outside of the Pentagon and saw the plane hit.  I could go on, but won't. I understand the need to report the news.

I stand by my statement.  The powers that be need to have every person in the government and all of these companies come to meetings and have them hear what gun shots sound like.  Most people have never even heard a gun shot.  It would make it easier on the individuals because they wouldn't be jumping out of their skin every time they heard loud noises.  It must be terribly difficult to always feel the need to be alert, yet not know exactly what it is they are listening for.

I also believe in the saying "better safe than sorry".  I'm not saying the woman did wrong in notifying the police, I'm saying the TV channels went way, way overboard in reporting what happened.

It's a matter of one channel trying to outdo the other channels.  They even said about 1 hour into it exactly what was said when I turned off the TV at 2:30.  I don't know the final outcome.  I haven't heard it.  I assume it was what they said in the first hour.  That it was one of the workers who were working nearby that the woman heard.  My guess is it may have been a pneumatic nail gun.  

It just gets to the point of not making sense.  I understand the need for reporting.  But come on, every station for hours.