Honored Contributor

🌸🥀 Y&R JUNE 2019 SPOILERS! 🥀🌸

Josh Griffith and Anthony Morina explain major changes at Young and the Restless.

Soaps.com readers were stunned when news broke that Michelle Stafford was returning to Young and the Restless as Phyllis Summers Newman. Recently the head writer of Young and the Restless, Josh Griffith, and Executive Producer, Anthony Morina, spoke to Soap Opera Digest about the big changes being made at the CBS soap opera. Morina detailed that over the past year the audience felt disconnected from the drama. “I think one thing that the audience felt was, a lot of things have changed, good or bad, but it didn’t feel like their show. So our first intent is, ‘How do we get back closer to that feeling?’ The music, how we edit, how we shoot, how we costume them [the actors]. It’s a big process. It takes time. We’re slowly getting there.” Griffith chimed in that the story was also important. “Getting back to the storytelling that has made the show so popular, for so long, which is very emotional, very character-driven, with iconic faces that the people know.”

One of the first major changes implemented was the return of Adam Newman, now played by Mark Grossman. It was the network execs who asked that the character be brought back to the show, and Griffith who created the character was happy to comply. “By doing that, it just opened so many possibilities and it affected so many people. So I was able to go in with the story and say, ‘He’s gonna come back this way and this is what’s gonna happen.'” The network loved Griffith’s ideas. The network also wanted to see a return to, “Very deep, emotional storytelling,” according to Griffith. “Slow things down a little bit, let it breathe, have time to play all the aspects of it.” Morina describes his vision for the show moving forward as, “I want it to be rich. I want it to not be slow, but slow enough where people can feel something. I want it to be emotional. I want it to be somewhat unpredictable. I want it to be real people with real problems.” Griffith adds, “The strength of this show is that there is such a rich history of character and story that you don’t need to go to a new place, you can draw from that and give something new.

Another major change has been replacing Gina Tognoni as Phyllis with the originator of the role, Michelle Stafford. The decision, according to Griffith, was, “Just part of the bigger picture of us saying we need to try to get the show back to that iconic sensibility.” Morina is the one who contacted Stafford. “I called Michelle up. She wasn’t really looking. She was really happy at General Hospital. I was explaining what we’re trying to do and why. But I take full responsibility for not giving up on pursuing that. I just know where we want to go, and really where the network wants to go.” Griffith adds, “And then by us getting her excited about it, it was sort of like, ‘Well, you know this could actually fall into place.'” They admitted that they loved Tognoni, but bringing Stafford back was part of the bigger picture. “We have to re-create the core sensibility of the show. And Michelle is iconic as Phyllis,” Griffith stated.

They also have cast All My Children veteran Eva La Rue as Celeste Rosales, mother of Lola, Arturo and Rey. “Eva will play the fun, fresh, invigorating mom of Lola and Rey, in town to meet Kyle and to help Lola prepare for her wedding. Her attempts to push her way back into Lola’s life – and to take control of planning the big event – will put a strain on her relationship with her daughter, and will test Kyle and Lola’s relationship and bond,” Griffith previews. Both Griffith and Morina hope the fans appreciate the changes being made. “We love you. We hope we do right by you,” says Griffith to the fans. “I hope they like what we’re doing and where we’re going. It does mean something. You feel like you do affect people’s lives, in a way, so that’s nice,” adds Morina.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: 🌸🥀 Y&R JUNE 2019 SPOILERS! 🥀🌸

Summary for Monday, June 3rd from soaps.com:

Victoria and Billy are working on invitations for the re-commitment ceremony when Traci appears. They fill her in, and she leaves. Billy and Vikki discuss Adam. She hasn’t heard from him since handing over Chelsea’s number. Billy thinks his next move will be underhanded, though Victoria believes he’s sincere about wanting to start over with Chelsea and Connor. Billy’s proud of how she handled it. They finish their invitation and press ‘send’.

At the tackhouse, Sharon informs Adam that Chelsea returned her call. Adam’s excited. Sharon says she was shocked, but explains she’s married and doesn’t want to subject Connor to more emotional upheaval. Chelsea’s new husband adopted Conner; they have new identities and Chelsea won’t disclose their whereabouts. Adam hollers as Rey listens outside the door. Inside, Sharon tells Adam that Chelsea was terrified and didn’t want to uproot her son again. She advises him not to pursue this. Adam takes a call from Victor and has to go.

At Crimson Lights, Lauren asks Phyllis to tell her the site is down. Phyllis thanks her for her concern. Lauren hisses that if the site remains open, she will stop protecting her and so will Michael. On the patio, Traci works on her book as the Flynn updates Iris on her husband’s deception. She kisses him to show what he’s missing and leaves. Bella appears and complains Flynn’s blind when it comes to Iris. Bella lets Flynn know she’s in love with him. Flynn kisses her, but Traci backtracks, typing and tutting, “No, no, no, no.”

At Jabot, Jack, Summer, and Kyle discuss the rip-off site. Summer worries her mom is behind it. Jack’s already confronted her. Billy and Lauren arrive, and the Jabot Collective is launched. Summer hugs Kyle – they make a great team. Kyle tells Summer he hopes she finds happiness. Summer takes a call from Theo, who’s in town. Jack wants to celebrate at the house.

Sharon’s surprised to find Rey at home and not at Dark Horse. He reminds her part of his job is to watch Adam – he was at the tackhouse and saw them looking very intense; it made him uncomfortable. He hopes Sharon won’t trust Adam. She wonders if he’s afraid she’ll fall back in love with him. Rey’s just concerned he’ll manipulate her. Rey goes to Dark Horse, and when he returns, Sharon reassures him he has nothing to worry about with Adam. They kiss.

At Society, a tipsy Phyllis taunts Billy – she thought he’d be whooping it up over Jabot’s launch. Billy warns Jack thinks she’s behind the phony website. He muses about her taking money from him to start a company designed to take down Jabot. Phyllis sneers at him to stop and leaves.

At Newman Enterprises, Victor suggests Adam compromise with Nick where Christian’s concerned – it would be cruel to remove him from the only home and father he’s known. Adam angrily retorts that Christian’s his son and no one is going to take that away from him. They bicker until Adam blurts out the news about Chelsea. He plans to track her down and get his son back if nothing else. Victor protests. Adam points out Victor didn’t let go of him when he learned he was alive in Vegas. Victor will look into Chelsea and takes her number. He asks Adam to take on a project, but Adam won’t work with Victoria. Adam accuses Victor of managing him and decides he’ll distance himself from all of them. Outside, Adam updates Victoria that he’ll use her capital to start something of his own – she got what she wanted. Victoria goes in to complain Victor’s lost perspective – he sees Adam as a victim. Vic doesn’t need protection from his own son.

At the Abbott house, Kyle looks uncomfortable when Summer joins him, Billy, and Jack to celebrate. She has Theo, (played by Tyler Johnson) and an Internet influencer named Natalia with her. Lauren arrives and knows Natalia. Jack takes Lauren aside to gush about their numbers. Phyllis bursts in and toasts to each and every one of them getting what they deserve. Phyllis calls them out, tearfully and angrily. Lauren asks if she’s been drinking and the Abbott men smirk. Summer looks concerned as Phyllis leaves. Later, the party breaks up and Jack asks Lauren if Phyllis was behind the site. Lauren admits she warned her to take it down. Jack’s grateful she’s on his team. Lauren refuses another drink and they agree it was a good day.

At the tackhouse, Adam gets a text – someone found what he was looking for. Adam tells them to stay on it.

In her car, Phyllis swerves off the road, then gets out to confront the other driver – it’s Adam.

Next on The Young and the Restless:

Nick plots what his next move will be.

Honored Contributor

@loveschocolate,

Thanks for your post,

http://www.orkugifs.com/en/images/happy-friday_814.gif

Honored Contributor

Y&R spoilers for Monday June 3:

In Monday’s Y&R recap, Adam learns Chelsea has a new husbandand won’t reveal her location, and then he runs into an upset Phyllis who crashes her car.

Adam is grilled by Victor.

Sharon has a message from Chelsea.

Traci gets into character.

Y&R spoilers for Tuesday June 4:

Nick plans his next move.

Summer puts her guard down.

Phyllis runs into danger.

Y&R spoilers for Wednesday June 5:

Victor works to cover his trail.

Kyle pops the question to Lola. 🤮

Billy and Victoria hold their re-commitment ceremony.

Y&R spoilers for Thursday June 6:

Rey learns a secret.

Mariah tackles a new challenge.

Nick searches for evidence.

Y&R spoilers for Friday June 7:

A former rivalry reignites.

Phyllis is cornered.

Kevin Fisher will resurface when Greg Rikaart returns to Young and Restless.

More Young and Restless spoilers…

Adam gets into a fender bender with a tipsy Phyllis then takes her to the tackhouse to sober up. They bond over being pariahs and Adam, whose goal is to reclaim his life rather than settle scores, realizes Phyllis could be useful in getting Nick out of his way. Adam tells Phyllis he’s wanted to set this town on fire for a long time – he’s got the gas on him, does she want to be his match?

Billy and Victoria hold their re-commitment ceremony at Society after receiving Victor’s blessing. Summer brings Theo, (played by Tyler Johnson), to irritate Kyle, and unexpected arrivals shock the guests and take over the spotlight.

Nikki says to Victor, “If there is nothing seriously wrong with you, look me in the eyes and say so.”

Coming up on Young and Restless…

Victor delivers shocking news.

Kevin strikes a dangerous deal.

Lauren and Jack go on a road trip together.

Elena and Devon encounter a roadblock in their developing relationship.

Down the road on Young and Restless…

Kyle and Lola decide to get married, but the arrival of Lola’s mother, Celeste, complicates things as Eva LaRue joins Young and Restless.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@loveschocolate wrote:

Josh Griffith and Anthony Morina explain major changes at Young and the Restless.

Soaps.com readers were stunned when news broke that Michelle Stafford was returning to Young and the Restless as Phyllis Summers Newman. Recently the head writer of Young and the Restless, Josh Griffith, and Executive Producer, Anthony Morina, spoke to Soap Opera Digest about the big changes being made at the CBS soap opera. Morina detailed that over the past year the audience felt disconnected from the drama. “I think one thing that the audience felt was, a lot of things have changed, good or bad, but it didn’t feel like their show. So our first intent is, ‘How do we get back closer to that feeling?’ The music, how we edit, how we shoot, how we costume them [the actors]. It’s a big process. It takes time. We’re slowly getting there.” Griffith chimed in that the story was also important. “Getting back to the storytelling that has made the show so popular, for so long, which is very emotional, very character-driven, with iconic faces that the people know.”

One of the first major changes implemented was the return of Adam Newman, now played by Mark Grossman. It was the network execs who asked that the character be brought back to the show, and Griffith who created the character was happy to comply. “By doing that, it just opened so many possibilities and it affected so many people. So I was able to go in with the story and say, ‘He’s gonna come back this way and this is what’s gonna happen.'” The network loved Griffith’s ideas. The network also wanted to see a return to, “Very deep, emotional storytelling,” according to Griffith. “Slow things down a little bit, let it breathe, have time to play all the aspects of it.” Morina describes his vision for the show moving forward as, “I want it to be rich. I want it to not be slow, but slow enough where people can feel something. I want it to be emotional. I want it to be somewhat unpredictable. I want it to be real people with real problems.” Griffith adds, “The strength of this show is that there is such a rich history of character and story that you don’t need to go to a new place, you can draw from that and give something new.

Another major change has been replacing Gina Tognoni as Phyllis with the originator of the role, Michelle Stafford. The decision, according to Griffith, was, “Just part of the bigger picture of us saying we need to try to get the show back to that iconic sensibility.” Morina is the one who contacted Stafford. “I called Michelle up. She wasn’t really looking. She was really happy at General Hospital. I was explaining what we’re trying to do and why. But I take full responsibility for not giving up on pursuing that. I just know where we want to go, and really where the network wants to go.” Griffith adds, “And then by us getting her excited about it, it was sort of like, ‘Well, you know this could actually fall into place.'” They admitted that they loved Tognoni, but bringing Stafford back was part of the bigger picture. “We have to re-create the core sensibility of the show. And Michelle is iconic as Phyllis,” Griffith stated.

They also have cast All My Children veteran Eva La Rue as Celeste Rosales, mother of Lola, Arturo and Rey. “Eva will play the fun, fresh, invigorating mom of Lola and Rey, in town to meet Kyle and to help Lola prepare for her wedding. Her attempts to push her way back into Lola’s life – and to take control of planning the big event – will put a strain on her relationship with her daughter, and will test Kyle and Lola’s relationship and bond,” Griffith previews. Both Griffith and Morina hope the fans appreciate the changes being made. “We love you. We hope we do right by you,” says Griffith to the fans. “I hope they like what we’re doing and where we’re going. It does mean something. You feel like you do affect people’s lives, in a way, so that’s nice,” adds Morina.

Please tell Josh and Anthony that no, I don't universally appreciate the so called big changes made, least of all bringing big mouth Stafford back... Oh, and they can take their 'big picture' and stick it where the sun don't shine... Thank you so much...

Just what Y&R needed... more delusional, 'legend in their own mind', writers...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

"In her car, Phyllis swerves off the road, then gets out to confront the other driver – it’s Adam."

Awwwww man. A Phyllis and Adam team could have been a lot of fun with Gina... Not so much with Gargantua returning... Together, they could really turn Genoa City on its ear...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@loveschocolate wrote:

Please tell Josh and Anthony that no, I don't universally appreciate the so called big changes made, least of all bringing big mouth Stafford back... Oh, and they can take their 'big picture' and stick it where the sun don't shine... Thank you so much...

Just what Y&R needed... more delusional, 'legend in their own mind', writers...

I would LOVE to tell them that.........how do we contact them ?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hey does anyone else remember when Adam first met Big Red (her AKA then and I hope she goes back to RED....too many blondes on this show) at the gym? He pocketed her SCRUNCHIE! Oh my....I hate to think just where that poor little scrunchie ended up. I think nuAdam is WAY too young.....more Noah's age than the character's age but we all know on this show age is irrelevant....only a number...writers don't care. Making it up as they go. Show "history"....who cares?

Honored Contributor

Longtime viewers, prepare me for Kevin Fischer. Is he a comic character? I watched him have a short stint on Days Of Our Lives, and he was a total creep - but in a funny way. Pulled off some great lines.