Honored Contributor

Y&R DID NOT GET BETTER

[ Edited ]

I watched with anticipation knowing new episodes were beginning. Obviously, the writers did not take their time off to come up with anything new...Yes, I can tell that in a few weeks. 

OK, so the actors are being responsible and staying far away from eachother during scenes, having temps taken before going on set, but so far, it's the same old stuff. 

I had stopped watching long before Covid provided us with random repeat episodes. Figuring something could have changed, I gave this show another chance. Now, I'm officially finished with Y&R.

Thoughts?

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus   Even though I wish Y & R had better story lines I'm still in. It's escapism for me. It takes me away from reality for a while.Especially now.It takes me away from the Covid chaos in my life. I will definitely continue to watch.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ  I’m like you....all in.

I didn’t think it would make much difference..why should it.

I will continue to watch this show and General Hospital.

Regarding Y&R Every week that goes by it’s almost like Victor (Eric Braeden) seems weaker than the week before.

Not to be morose, but I worry that he will need to step aside and that will be the end of Victor as we all know...there is only ONE Victor.  Every Friday I think back and remember his voice seems weaker.  It brought it to the forefront seeing him way back when he was younger and vibrant.  It makes me feel so sad to see him appearing so frail with a low voice...sometimes I struggle to hear him.

I miss the old storylines too...but as long as Victor is in so am I.

I wonder why they had Niki in that horrible wig at the beginning of the week?  No one said anything about it.

Did others notice the social distancing that was done on the show?  Like all the scenes with Sharon.  No one was close to her.  She was alone on the couch.

Well take care dear friends.  Here’s to another week ahead.  Take care, be safe.

Trusted Contributor

Hi, @Annabellethecat66 !  Social distancing noticed especially in the scene with Nick and Ray in the coffee house - Nick in booth, Ray at other side of nearby table.  Every scene with dialogue now I'm looking at somebody's back if they are close knowing it is a loved one's back to me.  

I loved seeing the scenes from long ago although sometimes it was hard to follow as a one-off episode.  The sets were better staged, the music better, and the stories more intriguing based on a single episode.  I think showing old episodes only served to show all the weaknesses of today's shows.  JMHO

Honored Contributor

I know it's fiction, but after all these years, how would you keep something interesting.  Compared to real life, that much doesn't go on for most people.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I noticed Niki's wig too. Something must have happened to her hair.I'm surprised they didn't get her a more natural looking wig. I have a friend who wears a wig for style on occasion & you can't tell.

As far as Victor looking frail.  Eric Braeden is 79 years old. I think they are trying to transition his character so if he retires they are positioned to continue seamlessly. Although, I can't imagine Genoa City without Victor Newman.He still has some fight in him.Though softer spoken he's still in command.

Honored Contributor

Some time back, CBS gave this show a multi-year renewal but Victor or no Victor, it sure seems like it's on its last legs to me. If someone doesn't step in and get some writers capable of producing more interesting story lines AND characters than what we've seen now for too long, there's really no point in watching. The forced hiatus did this show no favors. My sense is that audience interest is at an all time low. Many of us got used to not seeing the show and frankly didn't miss it. Had they used the time off to revamp, retool and hit the ground running, some of us might have been happy to come back but they didn't. It's been business as usual and frankly, I'm not sure the show can be salvaged.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66    Oh, Niki's wig...really bad! Maybe during Covid, she cut her hair short, dyed it another color or let it go grey thinking who knows when/if the show will begin to shoot. Ooopsie! Need a long, out of style, wavy blonde wig. 

Honored Contributor

I tuned in just long enough to see how they all looked.

Chelsea has put on weight, Adam needs a shave & shampoo

NIck and 'Red' still playing kids games at their ages.

Jacks son still playing up to his cousin what's his name and for what I don't know. Let it go.

Not a good fit for me any more guess I've out grew it.

Honored Contributor

@MJDinVegas  Yes, some were very noticeable....especially at Victor's house with Chelsea sitting far from Victor and when Adam came to Victor's house.  I think they are (especially) careful of Eric Braeden probably because of his age.

Sometimes I wonder why he's still on the show.  Then I think "Why not?  He only has to show up every now and then and say a few words here and there".  Same thing with Jack, Esther and a few others.

Sharon stayed pretty much on the couch.  Before the virus she'd have been all over the men in the same room with her.  Same thing with Phyllis.  Phyllis has never been known for staying arms length from any male in the same vacinity.  Ha!

It must take some extra-ordinary know how to place those cameras so the individuals are all in the scenes.

Giving everyone credit, it must also be difficult to write scenes allowing this distancing....I am raising my hand as someone not giving credit to the writers for writing in the time of COVID (I usually say "virus").

It must be difficult figuring out scenes to play to.

Say, did you guys notice Victoria's neck thingy?  Oh!  Please dear Lord...we don't need for those things to become a fashion statement.  I have a fat neck and it would only call attention to my fat neck.  I didn't find it attractive at all.  I kept thinking, "This company must not have rules on how to dress while at work".  

Most of the time these people look like they're going to dinner or out for the evening...definitely NOT going to work!

I hope this isn't going to be the end of our soaps.  I've always loved my soaps.