Honored Contributor

Re: 🌺🌸 Y&R APRIL 2020 w/ SPOILERS 🌸🌺

I watched this soap from Day One, so either my mind is not as sharp as I thought (?!?!?) or it's slipping away from sitting here too many hours in front of the boob tube...aptly named. I don't remember many characters or their relationships to main characters. Anyone else just sitting there scratching their heads?

Honored Contributor

DVR's are so weird. I originally set mine to record Y&R, but new episodes only... Well, it did record the Monday episode, even though it's an old episode, but failed to capture Tuesday's... Go figure... I manually set it to record today's, because these old episodes are more fun than anything this show has featured for quite some time...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I watched this soap from Day One, so either my mind is not as sharp as I thought (?!?!?) or it's slipping away from sitting here too many hours in front of the boob tube...aptly named. I don't remember many characters or their relationships to main characters. Anyone else just sitting there scratching their heads?

I have too and miss those old days' shows. Do you remember Nicki's boyfriend Cash? I remember having a crush on that guy. He actually was the real-life bf of Vanna White and was killed in a plane crash. Actor John Gibson.

Respected Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

Watching these old shows just points out even more how terrible and cheesy Y&R has become. Sad.

Agree, @silkyk 

I just realized I hadn't been on here in a while and was coming to make the same comment!

Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

Watching these old shows just points out even more how terrible and cheesy Y&R has become. Sad.

It's glaring. I think I might have said it before but it's a real calculated risk to be running these old episodes and then think the audience is going to embrace a return to mediocrity, at best.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

Did Mrs. C ever give up the bottle? She seemed determined to keep drinking today. 

@AuntG  Yes, she did. Lots of mileage for Mrs. C after some of these repeat episodes before Jeanne Cooper passed away. She really was the heart and soul of the show and they should, by now, have installed someone as the show's matriarch. No one could replace her, but there badly needs to be someone in that sort of role. Unfortunately, no one has been groomed for it and probably none of the existing cast is up to it. They'd have needed to bring in someone very special from outside and write them some very solid and endearing story lines. Unfortunately, both have proven well beyond the skill level of any of the recent writing teams and casting directors.

@stevieb   Niki is the only character w/ the longevity, seniority and correct age, but a former pole dancer as a matriarch...Eh? 

@Shanus Well, it isn't like Katherine was any saint either, she surely had her demons and lots of them, but they really didn't do a very good job of aging some of these key characters, Nicki included, so nope, she's in no position to take over as the show's grande dame... If the shows's writers over the years hadn't been so hung up on trying to be 'current' and trying so desperately to compete with prime time, they'd have brought somebody in at the time of Katherine's memorial service, a long lost cousin or something like that, and developed her into the fascinating, powerful yet stabilizing older female this show so sorely needs.

Valued Contributor

@loveschocolate  I forgot about Larry Warton. He was great in his role. I wish they would show him on one of the old episodes.

Honored Contributor

If this "trip down memory lane" lasts for weeks/months, they need to publish a playlist of characters and how they relate to the others. We old timers can't keep track of who's who. It's burdening my mind which is already turning to mush.