Respected Contributor

Re: Wow! I am shocked. Christina and Tarek from Flip or Flop

[ Edited ]

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I am stunned, but not shocked.  Happens so easily in So CA and with the people on television. 

I so enjoy the show and the ideas that are shared. 

I want the show to continue but usually when there's a separation, the shows come to an end. 

It has nothing to do with Southern California or any other location. Some of my happiest family times were at home in SoCal with my mom and stepfather. 

Esteemed Contributor

@libbyannE  I never looked at it they way you did.  Thank you for sharing.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Esteemed Contributor

They went through so much to have that second child. It's sad. Their TV careers are done. Perhaps the problems they had with their questionable seminars didn't help but who knows? Things must be awfully bad in their relationship to have them give up so much.

Valued Contributor

According to People Magazine's website, they have been separated for months and are now seeing other people.  The report says that other relationships had nothing to do with the original blow-up in May.  Again, HGTV sure wanted to cover this up with their ads for the show.  

Esteemed Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

As someone else said, one never knows what goes on in someone else's marriage. i wish them well and especially hope they help their children through the process of adjusting to a divorce.

When I was growing up, to  say that we had the picture-perfect family would be an understatement. My parents were absolutely wonderful. We were the center of their lives. They were involved in PTA, girls brownies, Cub Scouts, you name it.  They had lots of friends and were active in the community. Most of our friends wanted to play at our house because my parents were just so great and our lives were so happy. Our lives were family centered with lots of gatherings, church, and happy times. Suddenly when I was 14, it all fell apart and they suddenly separated.  I always said that my parents had the most polite divorce in history, which took a year,  because there was no arguing and there never were any fights. They were very well behaved and kept any rancor away from the kids. But things were falling apart behind the scenes and nobody knew it. I was just telling my mother  again recently that for the children, a divorce is never really over. The parents can go their own ways and make happy marriages, which my parents did. I loved both of my stepparents. But no matter what, the children – I can only speak for myself – may  feel as if they're trying to ride two horses at the same time for the rest of their lives. You live, as a child  of divorce, in two worlds. Your mom's. Your dad's. You go back-and-forth and try to put it all together  but those two lives need to be somewhat separate because your parents have separated. For me it was as if I was split in two, and I spent decades in my own mind trying to make myself and my heart whole again. It took forever.  I only learned a handful of years ago that my brother went through the same process and only at about age 60 did he feel that he put himself back together too. Today, perhaps children automatically get counseling and help with getting through their parents' divorce.  I hope so. Back in the mid-1960s when no one else that we knew had parents divorcing, it just wasn't talked about, and we were left to figure out how to get along despite the constant care and love of our wonderful parents and eventually stepparents. Had you seen me then, you would have seen a bubbly, busy, happy teenager. Inside, I was scared, depressed, guilty because I couldn't  seem to help my parents, and in an emotional free fall.

Yes, pray for those kids.

I divorced when my kids were young; my daughter 5 1/2 and my son 7 1/2. My daughter doesn't remember us living in the same house! My son recalls his Dad not being home much. As challenging as it was for me, the kids being so young helped ease the transition.

Respected Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

I read that Tarek ran into the woods to cool off from a fight- and brought a gun with him to protect himself from the wildlife. I guess that sounds reasonable? Whatever the truth may be- I hope they focus on co parenting their kids in a positive, loving manner.

I've read on numerous sites someone with a gun was suicidal.  If he was cooling off and protecting himself from wildlife, then he could sue these multiple sites.

I do not believe he was protecting himself.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@libbyannE.... thanks for sharing.... one thing I have always found is that children find some way to make it their fault when there are problems in the home.... I am so sorry that it took you and your brother so long to feel "whole" again....

Valued Contributor

Taylor, their daughter, never seemed that close to her dad. I noticed that Tarek seemed to try and cater to her but she didn't respond. Since they have been separated since May, I imagine Taylor realizes what is going on. She seems very close to Cristina.It is sad for all of them.
Honored Contributor

Wow!  I have to say that I'm shocked too!  ...why?  I have an online business and I work from home.  I have the TV on HGTV often in the background and it seems like their show is always on (in addition to the Property Bros & Chip & Joanna from Fixer Upper).  They give the appearance to be very happy.  She just had a second baby.

In addition HGTV keeps showing their holiday commercial and how they talk about being with family for the holidays...who knew?

Valued Contributor

Same here, I'll have their shows on for background noise.

Yesterday, I saw an episode where "Christina's" car was stolen.

Maybe that was a clue.

And Hgtv, is always showing them in a happy Christmas ad.

Jean