Trusted Contributor

Wow! Has anyone else seen the movie Room?

I just finished the book yesterday morning, and my husband and I saw the movie last night.  It's no wonder that it has been nominated as Best Picture, and it's no wonder that Brie Larson was nominated as Best Actress.

The only thing I don't understand is why Jacob Tremblay was not nominated for the Best Actor award.  He was absolutely incredible.  He was a complete natural, turning in a very emotional, yet nuanced performance.  

I look forward to seeing what the future holds for this gifted child. I hope he is surrounded by people who will put his interests first and give him the support and guidance he needs to avoid what happens to many child stars.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wow! Has anyone else seen the movie Room?

No.  Probably won't see it either.  It's not the type of subject I find as 'entertainment'.  Goes for several other flicks.  I know it's showing at one or two places but here in Los Angeles, where the Academy Awards are held, other films are being promoted.  Lots of international films here as well as well as various award ceremonies. It's not just the Oscars anymore. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Super Contributor

I saw it a few weeks ago. It sure was a different perspective from the eyes of a child born in captivity.

Honored Contributor

I read the book.  Haven't see the film yet.  I probably will.  Well I don't go out of my way for films.  So I'll see it on TV (FIOS on demand) 

Contributor

I try to see as many Oscar nominated films that I can.  However, I was worried this one would be too hard to watch.  I dont know anyone that has seen this movie yet.  Were there difficult scenes you found hard to watch? 

Esteemed Contributor

I hardly see any movies until they make it to home theater, but I read a little bit about this one and it is definitely one that I would find interesting.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Trusted Contributor

@nmarie wrote:

I try to see as many Oscar nominated films that I can.  However, I was worried this one would be too hard to watch.  I dont know anyone that has seen this movie yet.  Were there difficult scenes you found hard to watch? 

I did not, but only because I had just finished the book that very morning....so I knew exactly what was going to happen and how it turned out.  My husband, on the other hand, could not take it.  He actually went out to the lobby and waited for me to finish the movie.

He is a very empathetic person....this isn't the first time he has had to leave a movie while I finished it.  He did the same thing last year during Still Alice, in which Julianne Moore played an Alsheimer patient.  It was just too sad for him.

Super Contributor

@nmarie wrote:

I found the movie riveting; never knowing what to expect next. 

There were no scenes in which I had to look away (was worried about that too given the subject matter).  The young boy was amazing!  I did not read the book.  I would recommend the movie to others.

Esteemed Contributor

The young boy won for best child actor or new actor on the GOLDEN GLOBES.  He was very cute and good speech. Not a movie I would see.  Where are all the feel good movies of yesteryear?  The pure love and great dance movies?  Movies today are like watching the news of the day.  Too much reality.  Give me SINGING IN THE RAIN, OKLAHOMA, MEET ME IN ST. LOUIE, MARY POPPINS, get the picture, pardon the pun?

Valued Contributor

I read the book and could not put it down.  Saw the movie and thought they did a really good job.  Definitely recommend both the book and the movie.