Esteemed Contributor

Re: Would you see Slender man?

I have no plans to check out creepypasta. 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

@MamaWick me either.  

Honored Contributor

I watch a lot of true crime, but this one - I cannot figure out exactly why, but I have avoided this story as much as possible.

A couple of times I've seen shows recorded that ended up being about this case and I just deleted them w/o watching.   I wish I knew why this story bugs me so much that I just don't want to acknowledge it.  

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry, I don't go to movies, but this is one that should not be shown.  We are exposed to so much violence and I hope that local theatres will not show it.  I will have to look, but I have not seen any ads for it, either on tv or in my local advertising.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

No, I hope it fails and loses money, so this garbage will stop.  We need more positive movies and stories for everyone.

This type for horror is not good entertainment for anyone.

Trusted Contributor

No.  I think it's sick and will only prove to scare kids or plant the seeds of mental illness in an already sick child who maybe isn't showing it yet to that degree of madness.  

Respected Contributor

No.  I did see the documentary. 

Trusted Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

No.  I think it's sick and will only prove to scare kids or plant the seeds of mental illness in an already sick child who maybe isn't showing it yet to that degree of madness.  

I agree, @puttypiesmom. It's wreckless, imo, as though they are fully aware, but don’t care if their film perpetuates more violence among children. 

No, @cherry.. I would never support such a project by going to see it. The ratings should be adjusted at least, though determined kids will find a way to see it.

I did watch the disturning documentary on the WI case, so I understand the history of so-called Slender Man. The result of evil imagination made manifest globally on the net. Nothing about any of it holds any appeal to me. 

Honored Contributor

My 18 year old went with a group of friends (17-18) and when they returned to my house later that night with take-out, I asked them about it.

Now, I thought it was this horror, gross, bloody-gore movie. What they ALL told me was that it wasn't. They EXPECTED it to be but it wasn't. That the ads MADE IT APPEAR and that those in the audience who paid to see a slasher movie were TICKED OFF because it was more a documentary telling about the people, the mind set, etc. Quite a few walked out during it because it was.....dull.

I looked at my son with my "Mom Look" and said, "are you kidding me here?" 

He replied with "Ma, it was a joke. A lie of a movie. The younger boys could go see it because nothing happens. It's a LOT of talking. A LOT". And the other teens nodded.

I have no idea what to think because I thought it was a slasher gore film. Yet, those I know who saw it said the studio should be sued for false advertising. What?! That's how some of them felt.

I don't know what to think. 

Honored Contributor

I am not sure if this is out yet or not or if it will ever come out because of the difficulty of the subject matter but a major television network has made a movie very loosely based on the events of the real case with three 10-12 year old actresses.  They are trying to take a Mental Health PSA approach not a ripped from the headlines.

They seem to be very wrapped up in legal because they do not want it to be associated with the real story and other similar iterations have been sued.  Last I knew they were still waiting on a release date for it. 

And for the record, the kid I'm related to loved every second of filiming but did not want her mother on set while filming certain violent parts which will not be shown on screen but were acted out for the film. 

The kids really do seem to get both sides of it.  It's make believe at the time but it's still not a nice topic to interpret.