Regular Contributor

Would you like to share your favorite movies?

I have so many I will wait and maybe not post at all.  So interested in what you movie diva's love.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Would you like to share your favorite movies?

I LOVE these three movies -- The Holiday, The Millers, and Rumor Has It.  Even though I have them all recorded, I will still sit and watch them if they happen to be on TV.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

So many but to start: How Green Was My Valley (I always cry at the end), Shawshank Redemption, The FBI Story (a Jimmy Stewart movie I love). Will post others as they come to mind.

Love to see what others like, too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I absolutely loved  Fifty Shades Darker and have seen it 5 times.  From the past, I love The Quiet Man, The Apartment, Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, Desk Set, Mogambo, Gone With the Wind, Joy, Love Affair, Yankee Doodle Dandy and so many film noir movies!

Honored Contributor

Where to begin? LOL! I LOVE movies and I have many favorites, mostly romantic comedies, but once in a while another one will slip in!

Top Gun

Pretty Woman

When Harry Met Sally

Notting Hill

The Proposal

While You Were Sleeping

Something's Got to Give

27 Dresses

Sleepless in Seattle

An Affair to Remember, the original

anything Cary Grant, especially Operation Petticoat and Walk Don't Run

Gone With the Wind

An Officer and a Gentleman

A Walk in the Clouds

Lifeguard 

Grease

From Here to Eternity

Gigi

Jaws

Young Frankenstein

A Place in the Sun

But two of my favorite ones were not that popular at the box office:

The Final Countdown with Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen

L.A. Confidential with Kevin Spacey and Russell Crowe

DH and DS love James Bond, so we have almost all of those movies on DVD. I enjoy them too. 

I know I'm leaving something out, probably something I really enjoy. But I'll look forward to seeing what everyone else posts! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Friends with Benefits, He Just not that into you, 1408, Serendipity. Adjustment Bureau, Dirty Harry, All of Clint Eastwood's Westerns.

Honored Contributor

My favorites ... I haven't seen anything worthwhile in a long time.  These are my "oldies but goodies."

In This House of Brede

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

84 Charing Cross Road

The House on Carroll Street 

The Red Violin

The Tempest (with Helen Mirren)

The Sixth Sense

The Princess Bride

Alice in Wonderland (Johnny Depp)

The Last Starfighter

Valued Contributor

As Good as it Gets

Christmas Vacation

Christmas Story

Wizard of Oz

Rainman

Sound of Music

anything with Bette Davis

Young Frankenstein

so many to enjoy!

Esteemed Contributor

Well, I will start off with what popped into my mind as soon as i saw your thread title...

Primal Fear

Nights in Rodanthe

Unfaithful

An Officer and a Gentleman

Hachi, A Dog's Tale

Arbitrage

(I think you can see a theme here...lol)

The Notebook

The Sixth Sense

The Place Beyond the Pines

Bridges of Madison County

Steel Magnolias

The Prince of Tides

The Mirror Has Two Faces

A Few Good Men

As Good As It Gets

Terms of Endearment

Something's Gotta Give

Shutter Island

Fences 

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

ILoveFragrance, sure.  Like you, I find it so hard to winnow them down.  And the list changes from time to time, according to mood:

"The Magnificent Ambersons"--   Orson Welles' "other" flawed masterpiece.  There are certain long scenes, like the fluid, up and down ballroom scene, and the merry little piece where they all go for a little auto ride in the snow---  they're almost otherworldly, they are so beautiful...

"The Third Man"--   Joseph Cotten is innocently swept into intrigue and murder in devastated but still lovely post-War Vienna.  Haunting music and a baffling love story...

"Out of the Past"--   Jane Greer is an enigmatic and unforgettable femme fatale to Robert Mitchum's flawed but likeable, street-smart but confused private detective...

"The Searchers"--  This vies with "Shane" for my favorite great, deeply stirring psychological Western..  John Wayne embodies a certain kind of frontier anti-hero and

makes us root for his outwardly hard, reticent seeker...

"The Big Heat"--  Fearless anti-corruption cop, and family man Glenn Ford has his world

upended when he goes against the Mob boss in his town.  This is the film in which Lee Marvin in a shocker scene famously threw hot coffee in his mistress Gloria Grahame's face.. .

"Touch of Evil"--  Film noir set in seedy border town-- Charlton Heston is an idealistic Mexican investigator on honeymoon with American wife Janet Leigh, and walks into a cauldron of subversion and cover-up.  Brilliant camera work by director Orson Welles..

'The Best Years of Our Lives"--  Brilliant picture of the lives of U.S. servicemen making the uneasy transition to civilian life after World War II,   Enriched by superb performances by Fredric March, Dana Andrews, Teresa Wright, Myrna Loy, et al.

"Kiss Me Deadly"--  Paranoid thriller and film noir that begins with escaped mental patient, a young Chloris Leachman running down a bleak desert highway, and picked up by dashing private eye, "Mike Hammer".  One existential  puzzle follows another in hip, late Fifties Los Angeles setting, with a conflagatory ending!

"Gilda"--  Radiant, life-force Rita Hayworth and gambling opportunist Glenn Ford collide memorably in the glamorous and shady night club world of Buenos Aires...

"Anatomy of a Murder"--  Jimmy Stewart is a lawyer in a small Upper Peninsula resort town who takes the case of an Army man accused of killing his wife's alleged rapist.  This is so satisfying-- great sense of place in the Michigan iron country, wonderful jazz score by Duke Ellington, (and he appears in the film!) terrific performances by Stewart, George C. Scott, Lee Remick, Ben Gazzara.  AND, Jimmy's wisecracking secretary is Eve Arden! To top it all, it is the best courtroom drama I've ever seen, wonderful writing.