Esteemed Contributor

Alton Brown is a new judge on the program. I really like him. He has a great sense of humor. He makes the show. I can't believe how bad these cooks can be. It started last night.

Honored Contributor

I think the show is scripted. So does DH. It's been a long time since we have watched it.

Honored Contributor

@elated wrote:

Alton Brown is a new judge on the program. I really like him. He has a great sense of humor. He makes the show. I can't believe how bad these cooks can be. It started last night.

Totally scripted!  No one could be as dumb as some of them are.  It got so ridiculous that I stopped watching a few seasons ago.

Esteemed Contributor

I like Alton Brown too, but admit I have not been a faithful viewer of this show in the last few years, because some of the "cooks" and their antics are unbelievable. I sometimes enjoy it when I do watch, because the entertainment factor is certainly there. The finals are the most enjoyable for me.😁

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

I quit watching it years ago. Some of the nonsense defied credulity. Too ridiculous for words.

Honored Contributor

Re: Worst Cooks in America

[ Edited ]

I don't understand the concept behind this show.  What's the point unless it's just a comedy vehicle for Alton Brown?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  It is definitely a comedy, but sometimes absolutely ridiculous, which is reason I only watch occasionally now, favoring the finals.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

I haven't watched this episode (new season) yet, but I didn't love that it's Alton this season.  Granted, I would rather watch him than Irvine (like, times a million!) but I've not been much of a fan of Alton lately.   I'll end up watching and I imagine it will be a good season with the two of them.

I also agree that some of what goes on is just pretty difficult to believe, in terms of these 'worst cooks'.  Some of them go wayyyyyyy beyond annoying and that's what gets to me.  I don't do well with 'annoying'.  

Honored Contributor

I enjoy this show, because it shows me another side of how different we all are.   I grew up thinking everyone ate the same way my family ate, until I made friends with a Jewish classmate from a kosher home.  

Scripted?  Probably to a certain extent for the guidelines of the show, but I’ve lived long enough to know you can’t hide, cover up, or ignore certain traits or weaknesses, and you can’t fix stupid. 

There is definitely a pattern with the personalities chosen for the show; older people who never learned to cook, career people or young moms who never had time to learn to cook, the squeamish people who don’t want to touch food, the young ones who always eat out or depend on mom, the ones who are cocky, over confident, “I got this”, and the ones who only eat a few things and don’t venture beyond those tastes.   

I go into my kitchen every day and cook a meal for my family by the way my mother and grandmother’s taught me.   I use recipes mainly for the ingredient list, or special instructions, but I am not a cook who depends on a recipe.   I am shocked by the number of people my age (64) who must have a recipe to cook.

Valued Contributor

@chickenbutt I totally agree about Robert Irvine--can't even stand to watch a commercial with him in it.   But I think most of the Food Network chefs that I used to enjoy, Anne, Alton, Bobby Flay, have become one-note and boring.  Guy Fieri is over-exposed and obnoxious.  The British baking and cooking shows are so much better than the FN competition shows.