Honored Contributor

This is a really good film.  I saw it in the guide yesterday and if I recall correctly (I may not) it's premiering at 9:00 pm on Showtime.   Stars Helen Mirren and Ryan Reynolds.  Based on a true store of a German woman who escaped Nazi persecution during WWII  trying to get back a portrait of her aunt, solen by the Nazis. (Actually, I can't remember how if she escaped Germany or Austria).   The portrait is Woman in Gold.  Being Jewish myself, I got quite emotional when I saw this in the theater.  It is definitely worth watching.  To me Ryan Reynolds, handsome as ever, was the only weak link in this film.  I never did believe he's Jewish (he plays the son of a family friend who is a lawyer and  helps Mirren try to get the portrait back).  Also, his acting pales in comparison to Mirren's.  Mirren also isn't Jewish in real life but she was completely believeable in this role.   I'm going to watch it again.

Valued Contributor

I rented this movie a while ago through Redbox. I thought that it was very good. Good line up of actors. 

Valued Contributor

i do  not go to the movies very often but I saw that movie the first weekend it came out. to me that was a oscar winning movie. the movie today are not really worth seeing.

Respected Contributor

This is a very good movie.  Both of my parents were in concentration camps...I'm glad someone was able to get something back...

Respected Contributor

Ys, good film about the Klimt painting worth millions that she had to fight the Austrian government to get back.  Don't have to be Jewish to appreciate the story.

Esteemed Contributor

I saw it in todays newspaper schedule and wanted to record it. I have Verizon which is now frontier and had to hunt for it. It will be on show at noon Sunday in the la area.

Honored Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

This is a very good movie.  Both of my parents were in concentration camps...I'm glad someone was able to get something back...

@AKgirl2  I am so sorry your parents were in camps.  I grew up not long after WWII in an all-Jewish neighborhood where many of the shopkeepers in the neighborhood had been in the camps too.  It was very common in those days to see the numbers tatooed on people's arms - their numbers in the camps. Smiley Sad

I just watched the film again - it really is good.  I liked Ryan Reynolds in it better this time than I did the first time I saw it.  I love that the painting ends up in the musuem of the Estee Lauder family (Jewish) here in the USA.  The tlashback scenes that contained Aunt Adele were amazing; seeing the woman (an actress of course) whose portrait it was.

Respected Contributor

Thank you @Pearlee for the "Woman in Gold" recommendation.  Helen Mirren is one of my fav actresses.  After reading your post, I googled the trailer of the movie, & I'm now looking forward to seeing it. 

Honored Contributor

@alliswell  You are welcome. I really think you will enjoy the film.   I was just Googling stuff about the real woman, "Aunt Adele" and found this link.   there was an exhibit about her at the museum when the film opened in 2015:

http://www.neuegalerie.org/content/gustav-klimt-and-adele-bloch-bauer-woman-gold

Honored Contributor

Re: Woman In Gold

[ Edited ]

And here is another really good link for those interested in the film (from the link:

"Ronald Lauder, a businessman and philanthropist who had loved Adele's face from boyhood, happily paid $135 million to enshrine her in his Neue Galerie in Manhattan. At the time, it was the largest sum ever paid for a painting.":

http://www.biography.com/news/woman-in-gold-maria-altmann-biography