Respected Contributor

Wow, thanks @Pearlee, I will definitely check it out.  

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the recommendation, Pearley. Somehow this slipped past my radar. I was impressed with the entire movie, but especially the end when Maria reminisces in her childhood home. Very powerful. 

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee  Maria Altmann and her family were Austrian,  from Vienna.  

Adele's husband commissioned Gustav Klimt to paint Adele when she was 25

this is Adele along with Klimt's  Woman in Gold painting of her . more photos and history : http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/woman-in-gold/

Adele Bloch-Bauer and Gustav Klimt Painting

Maria standing with the Woman in Gold painting

Maria Altmann and painting of her Aunt Adele Bloch-Bauer

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline  Thanks but yes, I was reminded she was Austrlian as soon as I watched the film again on TV last night, and I think you posted part of some of what was in links I posted, but yes, I'd seen that info while Googling last night.  Thanks though.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@CatsyCline  Thanks but yes, I was reminded she was Austrlian as soon as I watched the film again on TV last night, and I think you posted part of some of what was in links I posted, but yes, I'd seen that info while Googling last night.  Thanks though.

i posted that link for a few additional details about the film for anyone else interested in the story :-)

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline  OH!  Smiley Happy  Since you posted @Pearley  I thought you were addressing me.

Honored Contributor

This is really interesting -- the actor who plays Maria's young husband, the opera singer, is the son of actor Jeremy Irons (an excellent actor whom I've always liked):

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1796057/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Honored Contributor

This is an excellent film.  I just watched it a few days ago - it's been showing on Showtime (again).

Honored Contributor

Re: Woman In Gold

[ Edited ]

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

@Pearlee  Maria Altmann and her family were Austrian,  from Vienna.  

Adele's husband commissioned Gustav Klimt to paint Adele when she was 25

this is Adele along with Klimt's  Woman in Gold painting of her . more photos and history : http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/woman-in-gold/

Adele Bloch-Bauer and Gustav Klimt Painting

Maria standing with the Woman in Gold painting

Maria Altmann and painting of her Aunt Adele Bloch-Bauer

@CatsyCline

I will have to see this movie now.  Gustav Klimt is my number one favorite classic artist.  I have several of his prints, including "The Kiss," a large segment of his "Tree of Life," and smaller segments of his later works which were in "The Kiss" and "Tree of Life" frieze styles.  His earlier works don't get shown much, like "The Opera," which is unbelievably detailed and I believe every bit as miraculous as Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel.  I have a large coffee table book of his works.

I am familiar with "Woman in Gold" but never knew the history of it which sounds fascinating.  I do not own a print of that one.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I saw that one in a theater when it first came out, I thought it was very good too. I love Helen Mirren.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"