Trusted Contributor

Anyone watching this show?  The girl is very hard to like.  They make a lot of questionable choices and go way over budget.  She spends a lot of money and I think they have only sold one house.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Windy City Rehab on HGTV?

I haven't watched it because the commercials for it were not very appealing.

It just looks like its not a fun show to watch.

She was annoying just in the previews!Woman Surprised

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I watch the show.  The 'girl' I think had a different show on HGTV a few years ago.  She does beautiful work....but it's really like all the other shows..buy property, start to renovate, something unexpected happens...blows the budget.  I am not sure, but I think she/they have sold more than 1 location.  I think one property they were going to sell but ended up with renters.

I miss the decorating shows, wish they would bring them back.

Esteemed Contributor

I miss Candice Olson and my favorites- Sarah Richardson and Tommy!

Honored Contributor

Yes she had a previous HGTV show.

This show fascinates me, so I have been poking around trying to figure some things out.

Donovan is a partner/owner of Greymark Construction.  They are a custom new home builder.  If you go to his website, you will see the spec homes as well as drawings for custom homes.

Alison is an interior designer in Chicago and Las Vegas (she went to school in Las Vegas so she splits her time between the two places).

One reason Donovan seems to miss things is (IMO) he is a new home builder and is not really used to doing home inspections.  The houses where the roofs/decks/garage roof were caving in was a bad mistake.

In addition, they have a lot of houses that they are working on at the same time.  I think this is why they are using contractors that they don't normally use and may not be as good as their usual contractors.  I think this adds to some of the problems they have with not being able to pass electrical inspection, etc.

The mistake they made in the Gibbons Street house by allowing it to go under contract before it was done was also interesting.  As of today, the house is still not sold.  The people who signed the contract are still arguing about what changes they asked for that were outside the project scope.  I assume they are in litigation or mediation/arbitration working it out.  The following week, Donovan had a buyer who wanted to put a contract on the house before it was done and Alison was against it.   What Alison and Donovan are doing together is not building custom homes.  They are building Alison Victoria original designed homes.  You are buying a completely furnished home. These are not staged for purchase, you are keeping all the furnishings.  Had they accepted the contract with that woman it would have ended up being a custom home and they would have been working for this woman vs creating their own design.  I mean, she came in with her own set of floor plans!

What I like about this show is that it's in a city vs the suburbs.  It certainly adds a different element to things like when the city was working on the street at the same time they were trying to bring in their own demo equipment.  I also like that weather plays a big role in it.  So many of the shows are done in mild, always sunny weather, and I think racing against Chicago winters and having huge delays due to snow storms is interesting.

She's also raised some good points about placement of electrical boxes and thermostats on the walls.  I would never have thought about something like that, but she considers the tiniest details like that.  Last night's show was the big discussion about removing the soffet.  I learned something there.

As for her designs, it's not my taste.  I haven't really cared for a single room she's designed.

Anyway, this show fascinates me.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

Thanks,  the show also facinates me and I find myself "hate watching" it,  I think sometimes the producers of the show are almost making fun of her?  I lived in a brick two flat like those she renovtes probably 30 years ago, and they have so many charming historical items,  it's a shame she takes most of them out.  I haven't lived in Chicago in 25 years, but I am shocked at the pricing. The one last night they put over a $1Million dollars into renovating it.  I am not sure why she doesn't buy one and put $100K into and try and retain some of the charm.  She seems to go over board.  If I am spending that much on a house,  I would want it to be exactly as I wanted,  and she wants it exactly as she wants it.  I think the last three she hasn't sold, she said she would hold off until spring.  I guess as much as I don't really like her or her designs,  I keep watching.  That is interesting about her partner, because he seems to have missed some obvious expensive items,

Honored Contributor

The show was renewed for Season 2.

She said last night she will not sell for less than $2mil.

What's also different about this show is that it's not a traditional flip show like we're used to with Flip or Flop or the other 50 flipping shows.

She has said many times that in order to get the price point that they want, there needs to be a certain number of bedrooms and bathrooms and storage space.

If they kept to the original design, some of these only had one bathroom for the whole house.

Also, a few of them were converted into multiple living units, so they are putting them back together again to make them a single family home.

What I didn't understand last night was the whole story about the casings.  She took out all the original casings and had them make identical new ones but they didn't put any casings back, so I wasn't sure where these casings went.  Maybe the bedrooms that they didn't show?

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I have watched it a few times since that is my hometown.  To me it's not as enjoyable to watch as Home Town and some other HGTV shows.

Trusted Contributor

Home Town is a wonderful program. I've come to appreciate Mississippi in a manner I had not previously: seems more inclusive in Laurel.  That could be a result of the homebuyers, however.  There's another, Hammer to Manor that I find interesting.

Honored Contributor

I'll be interested to see if they pick up Hammer to the Manor as they showed the same episode again this week that they showed months ago.

Their schtick is brother and sister and he restores metal stuff.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN