Trusted Contributor

@50Mickey 

Loved him inThe Big Chill, too.  I've seen that one many, many times.  What a bummer

Respected Contributor

@CatsyCline - Yes!  I remember William Hurt in Body Heat and in Altered States, in particular.  Loved him in both.  He was a phenomenal actor.  May he rest in peace.

Respected Contributor

He was married to Marlee Matlen for one year.  She divorced him because he abused her.  He was a good actor maybe but I don't respect men who beat women.  RIP Mr. Hurt.

Respected Contributor

He and Marlee weren't married but lived together. I think she also said WH got her hooked on cocaine.

Honored Contributor

I think his first wife Mary Beth Hurt said he abused her.

Respected Contributor

@deeva wrote:

I also liked him in Body Heat with Kathleen Turner. 

I just watched it a couple of months ago; for the 59th time.  I love that movie and William Hurt.  What a great actor he was.  😥

Respected Contributor

He was a great actor.  The Big Chill is one of my all-time favorite movies.  Rest in peace, William.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: William Hurt has died.

[ Edited ]

Mr. Hurt and Ms. Matlin were never married.   She detailed abuse during their relationship in her autobiography, "I'll Scream Later."

There were never any public allegations of abuse coming from his first wife, Mary Beth Hurt.

Honored Contributor

Oh, that's too bad.  I always enjoyed his acting.  Haven't read about it yet, but it's too bad. 

Honored Contributor

I gasped out loud when I heard this news......Great Actor, very versatile. Loved him in many many roles, including Mr. Brooks with Kevin Costner-unique role...

Also loved him in of course- The Big Chill, Body Heat, Children of a Lesser God, Altered States, Michael, Accidental Tourist,etc.....He was a great actor, and gone too soon!!!! RIP!!!