Honored Contributor

Re: Will you be watching The Grammy Awards Sunday?

I will be watching.  I try to keep up on what the younger generation is listening to and find I enjoy most of it.  

Honored Contributor

I will watch the Red Carpet arrivals on E!, then switch over to either "Mystery Science Theater 3000" on Comet TV or "How to Marry a Millionaire" on TCM.  

Will be interested to see if the ratings mirror the responses on this thread.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lady Gaga with Metallica should be quite interesting. 

As for the other issue, well my two longtime musical favorites (U2 and Bruce Springsteen)happen to get involved in that stuff often. It doesn't bother me, I still love their music. My views are pretty well aligned with theirs anyway, if they weren't well I'd have to decide if that was any sort of dealbreaker for me. I think you would eventually have to carry that out to the logical conclusion and make all your entertainment decisions based upon that. And who wants to live that way? I don't. 

Many of these music people came from very humble beginnings. So at least some of them haven't forgotten that, and for me at least it shows that they care about a world beyond their material wealth. Many of them are involved in causes such as eradicating poverty, and poverty is not a political issue. It's a human issue. 

What is still great about this country is the choice we have to think for ourselves, inform and educate ourselves, and filter out what we choose. Just like all the speeches at award shows, there are all these same types of comments here when the topic comes up. People who are bothered by it don't have to watch. And just as you have the right to say you are bothered, others have the right to say they're not, and artists have the right to express. I agree that we do not want to go back to the days of blacklisting.

When the Golden Globes were on I just wanted to talk fashion about them here in the fashion thread, and that thread was invaded by all that other commentary. Because all other threads were shut down. So that was a bit annoying too, probably like the annoyance about the speeches.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Respected Contributor

No, I will not be watching the Grammy's this year.

I have The Young Pope, Victoria, and The Royals on series record tonight and will watch these.

Also, I will catch the fashion recap from The Fashion Police tomorrow night.  

I may tune in for the red carpet arrivals on E! beforehand too.  Woman Tongue

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

No ,until the so called stars, learn not eveyone wants to hear their political views. I don't watch award shows

@cherry : 

big heart.png

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I will record and watch the performances only.  I don't care who wins.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I'll be watching and rooting for my favorites !

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i disagree @Annabellethecat66.

if you feel that way, then it is of course best to skip the awards.

i like hearing what they have to say and it is generally relevant to our situation now.

i dont find silencing people to be a good thing.

I don't believe in silencing people either.  But I do believe that businesses and entertainers (they are a business as well) should stick to their knitting while they are doing business.  As a matter of fact I think when you use a business as a forum for your views you are simply asking all who disagree with your point to view to NOT patronize your business. 

So in that case, I think a lot of people are choosing to express their unhappiness with the preaching and belitting that is coming from businesses now by opting out of buying from them.  GOOD for the people who do! 

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I can laugh about many things (and people), just keep it equal.

We already know that everyone of these people will be bad mouthing the same person.  How do I know?  Because if they didn't they'd be thrown out of the industry.

That's how things go these days...or haven't you noticed @sunshine45??

I'm always interested in what people say, but not when they are broken records...(hint).  

I agree but today, there are the thought police and then there are the rest of us.  I certainly agree about what she said about being thrown out of the industry.  Entertainment or entertainment posing as news is in lock step.  

That's my opinion on today.  We can't have a civil discussion because now some views are forbidden.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

going to try......looking forward to the music, the humor, and the politics......all wrapped up into one big show.

I agree, me too.Smiley Happy