Honored Contributor

Will and Grace to return for limited 10 episode run

(CNN)Honey, it's happening.

NBC has announced it's resurrecting beloved comedy "Will & Grace" for a new 10-episode limited series set to air on the broadcast network in the 2017-18 TV season.

Eric McCormack, Debra Messing, Sean Hayes and Megan Mullally are all set to return.

The decision comes just a few months after the cast reunited for a surprise, online-only reunion in which the cast rallied against then-Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump.
"We're thrilled that one of the smartest, funniest, and most defining comedies in NBC history is coming back," said NBC entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt in a release. "This groundbreaking series for everything from gay rights to social and political commentary -- all disguised as a high-speed train of witty pop culture -- is coming back where it belongs."

Original creators Max Mutchnick and David Kohan will also return to act as showrunners and executive producers.
Longtime TV director James Burrows, who directed every episode of the original series, will direct once again and executive produce.
NBC Entertainment president Jennifer Salke said the conversations about a possible revival began shortly after the secret reunion was shot back in September.
"The fact that all four of the original stars were excited about getting back into production is a testament to the joyful experience they had doing nearly 200 episodes for eight seasons," she said in a statement. "Few things cut through the clutter these days, especially in comedy, and 'Will and Grace' is one of the best."
"Will & Grace" premiered in 1998. The show was the highest rated sitcom in the 18-49 demo from 2001-05, according to the network's release.
The series was among the first broadcast shows to feature gay characters in lead roles and was credited by Vice President Joe Biden for educating the public on LGBT issues.
The show's 2006 finale garnered more than 18 million viewers, the network added.
In its time on air, "Will & Grace" was nominated for 83 Emmy Awards, with 16 wins.

Honored Contributor

Re: Will and Grace to return for limited 10 episode run

This is great news, I'll be glad to see them together again. I love Karen and her " what's this honey lines ", I borrow them sometimes. LOL.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

This is great news, I'll be glad to see them together again. I love Karen and her " what's this honey lines ", I borrow them sometimes. LOL.

@QVCkitty1 for me Karen was always my favorite character with that line . . . it made it even more funny when Bravo had that series (Million Dollar Decorators) about exclusive high end decorators and one of them was based on her . . . after watching the show I couldn't stop laughing as the comparisons were so spot on you couldn't miss it . . . Smiley Happy

And ps, I really liked that show and was bummed when it wasn't renewed.  Please know I don't enjoy the manufactured drama but I do enjoy watching folks with great taste do what they do . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I WILL BE THERE! I was watching the recent Debbie Reynolds minithon and found myself laughing hysterically.

Wonderful writing, super ensemble, can't wait.

Honored Contributor

I'll watch the first episode but if it's like the other resurrected shows, it will be disappointment. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yay!  And on national television. NBC, not cable.  I 'Will' be watching! ............. I've been watching four episodes of Frazier per night, and it's as though I'm watching for the first time!   I wish Frazier would return with all of it's original stars.  Brilliant writers, actors. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

"Educating the public on LGBT issues?"  Huh?  I love that show.  It is very funny and I watch the reruns all the time.  So, Will and Jack are gay.  So what?  It was part of the humor sometimes, and sometimes part of the story line.  But I wasn't "Educated" on anything.  It is what it is.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

"Educating the public on LGBT issues?"  Huh?  I love that show.  It is very funny and I watch the reruns all the time.  So, Will and Jack are gay.  So what?  It was part of the humor sometimes, and sometimes part of the story line.  But I wasn't "Educated" on anything.  It is what it is.

I understand you and agree, but there may have been a little less sense of "so what?" in that time span than now, and people who, at the time, weren't "so what" may, thanks to that show, be a little moreso now. I hope.

Esteemed Contributor

I jsut watched the video- I never saw it before but the popularity got the network talking. Wow! So funny!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

YAY!  Loved this show.  Love the actors.  Love the characters.  Still miss them.

They also had some hilarious peripheral characters (of course, Ms Debbie Reynolds as Grace Adler's mother and who can forget Beverly Leslie) and great guest stars, over the years.