Honored Contributor

Re: Will & Grace Series Finale

@Alter Ego wrote:

@sunshine 919  Harry Connick Jr. never returned in the reboot (or, at least, not that I recall during the last 3/4 years.)  I think it's because they wanted to separate themselves completely from the previous finale and pretty much rewrote it in the first episode as a drug induced hallucination of Karen.

Speaking of which, I just recently reread how the wrote it in the first episode.  Karen pretty much jokes that "nobody wants to see you raising your kids" or something similar. So, getting back to the OP's comment about missing the kids, I think it was a specific choice to keep it about the friendship of the main four characters, giving them a better ending than the original version.  My opinion at least.

Oh thank you for this info.  I had no idea they pulled a Dallas lol  Remember one season on Dallas I think Bobby Ewing died and the next season It was discovered it was a dream.  That was certainly a plot twistSmiley Happy.  I really enjoyed Dallas.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alter Ego wrote:

@sunshine 919  Harry Connick Jr. never returned in the reboot (or, at least, not that I recall during the last 3/4 years.)  I think it's because they wanted to separate themselves completely from the previous finale and pretty much rewrote it in the first episode as a drug induced hallucination of Karen.

Speaking of which, I just recently reread how the wrote it in the first episode.  Karen pretty much jokes that "nobody wants to see you raising your kids" or something similar. So, getting back to the OP's comment about missing the kids, I think it was a specific choice to keep it about the friendship of the main four characters, giving them a better ending than the original version.  My opinion at least.

Actually, during the first season of the re-boot, Harry Connick, Jr. was in one or two episodes.

Season 9

Episode 3

"Emergency Contact"

Grace is shocked to find that the emergency contact called by her doctor's office is ex-husband Leo, not Will.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I haven't watched this series finale, including the additional episode, yet but I'm glad some like it.

The thing with Stan, like with Maris (on Frasier) and the ones Jordan mentioned - it seems like when shows do this they keep it that way to the bitter end.  Well, we did see Norm's wife on Cheers at some point.   It's kind of a fun thing that, IMO, would be kind of ruined if you finally see them because each person has their own vision of what that person looks like and showing them will just give you somebody else's view.

I'll miss this show.  I've loved it from the beginning.  My favorites were always Jack and Karen, though, and hope to see those actors in another comedy.  I also like the others and have enjoyed EricMcCormackk also in a drama type piece.   I'll miss the characters!  

@chickenbutt if I remember correctly I don't think we actually saw Vera's face I think there was a food fight, Vera got hit in the face with a pie, hiding her face! I think Vera was played by the actor Norm's ( I'm drawing a blank on his name) real life wife. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I completely forgot about it and missed it.  I remembered the original ending.  Was this one better or the original?

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 Thank you!  I just got a chance to watch and I was like this is it?  No baby in their arms especially Will's after his big crisis and hoops to get one?  That was the whole payoff of watching this season and we got gypped.  

And why did McCoy come back?  That made no sense.  So now Grace lives with both men?  Really?  I never really watched this show back in the day and I realize now I missed nothing.  

The only thing I can think of is they had to stop shooting because of the virus and we got pre-empted early since it was a last season anyway.  Boo on NBC. We deserved better.