Honored Contributor

Re: Wild story. Curious Case of Natalia Grace on Tonight 9 on ID

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Honestly, I can't stand how they keep re-hashing the story it seems after every commercial break.  That makes it drag on.  

Yeah, the father is getting his 2 cents in, maybe the mother will in the next two hours?

The blond woman from Court TV (I think) seems credible.  Did she determine that the child was a young 6 year old when adopted?  She said something like *Do the math*.  Well, so many different dates and years had been mentioned, that I couldn't do the math.....lol

I think the little couple were saying they went to see Natalia in New Hampshire and the woman caring for her was Diane?  Whatever her name, Diane or Deborah or whoever, but she was fostering Natalia and was disgruntled when the couple wouldn't adopt her.  It seems they saw a problem with the child and yet were able to point fingers at the Barnetts.  ???

And the school teacher, I can't even remember if she wanted to adopt Natalia, but obviously didn't and she is disgruntled with the Barnetts.

It's kind of confusing....

Plus, I was tired and probably should've taped it.  Every time I asked my husband something that I didn't understand, I'd look over and he would be asleep.   !!!

Part I is on right now so I'm trying to understand a little better.

Respected Contributor

We watched a small part of it last night, though found it to be slow moving.  

Before I make any opinion on it, I really need to see the remainder of the shows.

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

@OKPrincess wrote:

We watched it last night and will again tonight to see the ending.

I don't know what to think 🤔 so I'll comment when it's over. 

How can moms be so stupid to not notice the changes with her body?

The mom claimed Natalia had periods etc. when they received her at age 6.

That's when the Barrett's started  thinking she's older than 6. 

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

@OKPrincess wrote:

We watched it last night and will again tonight to see the ending.

I don't know what to think 🤔 so I'll comment when it's over. 

How can moms be so stupid to not notice the changes with her body?

The mom claimed Natalia had periods etc. when they received her at age 6.

That's when the Barrett's started  thinking she's older than 6. 

That other woman who brought her daughter over for play dates said she was a lot older than her little girl.  Remember Natalia puffed her cheeks out to look more youthful?

As far as the little girl getting her periods, her adoptive parents should have taken her to a doctor immediately!  

Honored Contributor

Okay, I just caught the part where he checked her backpack and found the previous parents, Gary & Diane Ciccone.  So, that is who Diane is.  I may have gotten the name wrong since I'm terrible with names.  Can't watch the rest of that episode though as I'm cooking dinner.

Honored Contributor

The thing that threw me off was that the beginning of the story and actually most of the story was told by the father back a few years ago.  Near the end of the first 2 episodes they show where he changed his story about the electric fence incident after that.  I hate when shows play with time like that.  Maybe they just didn't have the full story from his viewpoint except at that time.  

Not sure why the son would lie about it or the nurse at the hospital.  Also, wondered did they keep the letter written by the now dead cop?  

It seemed to me the nosy neighbor (her description of herself) was very quick to pass judgement on them as parents although she had also been really quick to stop her daughter from playing with Natalia.  I'm guessing she was the one that called DHS on them?  I do think making her sleep on the back porch was a bit extreme.  

Respected Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I find it odd that so far, the only person who's been doing most of the talking is the dad, who seems like he wants to control the narrative.  We haven't heard from the mom or the other sons.  Something seems hinky to me.

I believe one of the sons spoke but it is odd that the mom has said nothing. The dad comes on quite strong. I don't know whether or not he's being dishonest and trying to be convincing or what.

@colliemom4  I believe the son that spoke was the eldest one that had been high functioning Aspberger's & doing complex math equations when he was younger & had now regressed after all the trauma.  I never heard the 2 younger sons speak.

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I find it odd that so far, the only person who's been doing most of the talking is the dad, who seems like he wants to control the narrative.  We haven't heard from the mom or the other sons.  Something seems hinky to me.

I believe one of the sons spoke but it is odd that the mom has said nothing. The dad comes on quite strong. I don't know whether or not he's being dishonest and trying to be convincing or what.

@colliemom4  I believe the son that spoke was the eldest one that had been high functioning Aspberger's & doing complex math equations when he was younger & had now regressed after all the trauma.  I never heard the 2 younger sons speak.

@aubnwa01  Yes. I believe you are correct. Well I said I wasn't going to watch more but found myself tuning in last night. I thought the second part was better yet the story certainly becomes more disturbing. I don't know what the truth about Natalia is but the parents certainly shouldn't have treated her the way they did. Even if she is mentally ill I believe the parents are deeply troubled as well.

Trusted Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

@FranandZoe wrote:

Sounds interesting but six hours?

I watched this last night and don't know if I can go through 4 more hours. It's interesting but very strange. You never know who's telling the truth, the girl or the adoptive parents. They actually lost me in part of the storytelling as well. JMO but would like to hear what others think. I don't care to watch anymore. They should have done it in a shorter version.

I was doing well until the 2nd hour when they were interviewing the little people who had been potential adopters?  I wasn't paying close enough attention and wasn't sure who they were dealing with, the agency or the previous adopters.  Who was Deborah?  

I'm also confused.  Did they not immediately have her checked out by a doctor for the pubic hair at 6?  

I didn't understand the part about the little people who were thinking about adopting her either. Thanks for letting me know it's not just me. What was the man talking about when he said he sensed pure evil in the meeting with I believe her name was Diane, and Natalia? Diane, Deborah, they don't say who she was.

I don't recall it being mentioned that Natalia had been seen by a doctor but I may have missed that. They did say she had pubic hair and was having a monthly period at age 6 which caused them to believe she was really older than 6.

DUH!

Honored Contributor

Why did the Barnetts' get divorced? Was that b/c of Natalia or something else?