Honored Contributor

Re: Wild story. Curious Case of Natalia Grace on Tonight 9 on ID

@Big Joanie wrote:

I know a couple that adopted a child from Russia.. she was 2 and did not know 

how to walk as she has been in a crib since birth .. did not know how to chew

food as all food was pureed as in a nursing home ... Luckily she has recovered

and has actually turned out to be quite brilliant ...

When a close relative was in the process of adopting a girl from the US. The social workers told them that the magic age for adoptions was 2 years old. They said that children seem to adjust well if they are placed with a family by the time they are two.

And that seemed to be proven in their case. They adopted the girl when she was two. Years later they found out she had an older brother. He was 11. They also adopted him. They wanted the children to grow up together.

He had been living in a different lifestyle. The first few years there were adjustments but it did seem to work out.

And sadly after a few years, he preferred the different lifestyle. They sent him through rehab 3 times. And then when he was 18 he filed for emancipation from them. But he did expect them to give him money on demand. So they would give him clothing, shoes, food etc. But he would end up selling all the items that they bought for him. 

It is a sad contrast of the two siblings.

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

@FranandZoe wrote:

Sounds interesting but six hours?

I watched this last night and don't know if I can go through 4 more hours. It's interesting but very strange. You never know who's telling the truth, the girl or the adoptive parents. They actually lost me in part of the storytelling as well. JMO but would like to hear what others think. I don't care to watch anymore. They should have done it in a shorter version.

I was doing well until the 2nd hour when they were interviewing the little people who had been potential adopters?  I wasn't paying close enough attention and wasn't sure who they were dealing with, the agency or the previous adopters.  Who was Deborah?  

I'm also confused.  Did they not immediately have her checked out by a doctor for the pubic hair at 6?  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

@FranandZoe wrote:

I watched this last night and don't know if I can go through 4 more hours. It's interesting but very strange. You never know who's telling the truth, the girl or the adoptive parents. They actually lost me in part of the storytelling as well. JMO but would like to hear what others think. I don't care to watch anymore. They should have done it in a shorter version.

I was doing well until the 2nd hour when they were interviewing the little people who had been potential adopters?  I wasn't paying close enough attention and wasn't sure who they were dealing with, the agency or the previous adopters.  Who was Deborah?  

I'm also confused.  Did they not immediately have her checked out by a doctor for the pubic hair at 6?  

I didn't understand the part about the little people who were thinking about adopting her either. Thanks for letting me know it's not just me. What was the man talking about when he said he sensed pure evil in the meeting with I believe her name was Diane, and Natalia? Diane, Deborah, they don't say who she was.

I don't recall it being mentioned that Natalia had been seen by a doctor but I may have missed that. They did say she had pubic hair and was having a monthly period at age 6 which caused them to believe she was really older than 6.

Respected Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

@FranandZoe wrote:

Yeah had it been even 2 hours - a one-time program - I would have watched.

This story sounds so familiar though - I think I've seen it somewhere else - like Dateline or one of those shows.

Respected Contributor

I find it odd that so far, the only person who's been doing most of the talking is the dad, who seems like he wants to control the narrative.  We haven't heard from the mom or the other sons.  Something seems hinky to me.

Honored Contributor

We watched it last night and will again tonight to see the ending.

I don't know what to think 🤔 so I'll comment when it's over. 

How can moms be so stupid to not notice the changes with her body?

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I find it odd that so far, the only person who's been doing most of the talking is the dad, who seems like he wants to control the narrative.  We haven't heard from the mom or the other sons.  Something seems hinky to me.

I believe one of the sons spoke but it is odd that the mom has said nothing. The dad comes on quite strong. I don't know whether or not he's being dishonest and trying to be convincing or what.

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

Yeah, I'm with you. I don't know what to think at this point. I totally believed the parents in the first hour and by the second hour, I began to think that something is going on in hinkyville! I'm definitely watching the next two nights. I find it fascinating.  

Honored Contributor

Honestly, I can't stand how they keep re-hashing the story it seems after every commercial break.  That makes it drag on.  

Yeah, the father is getting his 2 cents in, maybe the mother will in the next two hours?

The blond woman from Court TV (I think) seems credible.  Did she determine that the child was a young 6 year old when adopted?  She said something like *Do the math*.  Well, so many different dates and years had been mentioned, that I couldn't do the math.....lol

I think the little couple were saying they went to see Natalia in New Hampshire and the woman caring for her was Diane?  Whatever her name, Diane or Deborah or whoever, but she was fostering Natalia and was disgruntled when the couple wouldn't adopt her.  It seems they saw a problem with the child and yet were able to point fingers at the Barnetts.  ???

And the school teacher, I can't even remember if she wanted to adopt Natalia, but obviously didn't and she is disgruntled with the Barnetts.

It's kind of confusing....

Plus, I was tired and probably should've taped it.  Every time I asked my husband something that I didn't understand, I'd look over and he would be asleep.   !!!

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

The mom claimed Natalia had periods etc. when they received her at age 6.