Honored Contributor

Wild on the Beach - 1965 on FXM

I couldn't sleep last night and ended up watching 1965's silly Wild on the Beach on FXM. Has anyone ever seen this movie?  It wasn't very wild nor was it very beachy. 

But the house is so familiar.  I am hoping someone will know which movie the same house was used in.

It starred Frankie Randall and Sherry Jackson.  I'm not familiar with Frankie Randall but I do know Sherry Jackson from her daughter role in Make Room for Daddy and other singular roles throughout her career.

What most struck me, aside from the silliness of the movie, were two things.  It was the screen debut of Sonny and Cher.  You see only glimpses of their later take-over-the-house personalities.  You do see her trademark hand-in-the-hair move, however.

And, as mentioned above, the second thing is the house itself.  I am pretty sure that house was in one of the beachy noir films @Oznell had recommended to us earlier.  The only picture I found was in this Youtube video and it doesn't show the house from the road.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtuxN-amArI

The house was right on the Pacific Coast Highway, very simple and boxy, and cars parked right alongside just slightly above it on the side of the road.  To get inside, you'd walk across a small deck-like walkway on the left side of the flat-roofed house.  The other movie showed a lot of people coming and going in exactly the same way.

In case anyone is really, really interested, it will repeat on FXM on December 1 at 4:40 a.m.

Sonny and Cher backed by The Astronauts:

Related image

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Re: Wild on the Beach - 1965 on FXM

I think it is a hoot to see old movies like that, especially if they have future "stars" in them. IMDB is a great source when you can't remember names in movies.

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, what a blast from the past, @GingerPeach!   That house does look somewhat familiar, but not so that I could pinpoint it...

For some reason it reminds me a little of the beach house in Robert Aldrich's explosive, late Fifties noir,  "Kiss Me Deadly" with Ralph Meeker.  Yet, I think it's smaller and may bear little resemblance to it-- I'm not remembering that one very well!  Those strong horizontal lines are so reminiscent of so many beach houses, esp. in California...

Sonny and Cher always look amusingly 'well-fed' in their struggling, early career days, compared to how they were later on!

Honored Contributor

@StylishLady

I wasn't looking for anyone's name, if I understand your post correctly.  
I was trying to recall the name of the movie in which the same house was used as the setting.

None of the movie websites had that info.  I did an extensive search on all those sites as well as elsewhere.

Honored Contributor

I don't think it was Kiss Me Deadly@Oznell

One scene in the movie I can't recall was of a young girl in the house who was just saved from assault - but it was a mild scene if I remember correctly.  It will come to me probably sometime in 2019!