Honored Contributor

Re: Why so much news about Britney. Who cares?

@Foxxee wrote:

It's actually very important. I don't know all the details except to recognize if the law can do this to her, it can do it to us, too.  That should give everyone pause.    

Does her conservatorship have an agenda...a financial one, and are they over-controlling, mismanaging every aspect of her life for that reason?  Does she need this much management?

Some with bipolar do.  I know someone who has it very badly, a real handful for his wife.  She is power of attorney now and can hospitalize him when he is out of control.  

If Britney married, she would be taken care of by her husband; therefore, not needing a conservatorship, but they don't want her to get married.  Why?

Well I feel if she married it would be a disaster.  She has some boyfriend now who sticks his nose into everything. The guy would have to have her best interest   I would like to know if she has the boys most of the time or her ex husband, they see seem to be good boys and out of the public eye.  

I remember Patty Duke.  Before she was diagnosed and put on lithium she was out of control.  I think she married at least once while in a manic phase. She also travelled while manic and would wind up in kinds of places.  I dont think she had anyone to take care of her,   The difference is I remember her talking about her medication she was so thankful for it.  She was also relieved to have been diagnosed, for years she had no idea what was wrong with her.

Honored Contributor

@1208 wrote:

I really feel this is all about money. If she marries her husband would be in charge of everything her father has been in charge of and he no longer has access to her money. Very sad case.

I think dad is trying to protect her money.  I would imagine that Britney could run through it quickly.  If she is not taking medication

Respected Contributor

@sunshine 919  That's the point. It is HER money. She worked for her money. If she blows through it it is her problem. She is almost 40 years old and if she cannot be responsible with her money (and life) it's on her.

Honored Contributor

I think some of you understand what I’m trying to say without out saying it.

These days it seems like what you thought would or could never happen...well...it can and often does.

I always told my girls to never break the law because if you do...you are giving someone (judge) the ability to be able to decide the direction of your life.

But watching what’s going on with her should open everyone’s eyes to pay attention.

Respected Contributor

I read Patty Duke's book.  She felt the couple who represented her were often abusive and took advantage.   Similarities to Britney's situation.

Esteemed Contributor

No one really knows the truth .

All we hear  is what is blasted on the news. Yes, there are legal implications  for all citizens as to how her case goes.

What makes me pause and think well, maybe her Father is not such a villian when Brittany is refusing another mental health evaluation . If she is so stable after being on the medication as she says was mandated than why not take a mental health exam and prove  her sanity ?  Maybe it is true her Father is very greedy , but he sure took charge and  mangaed  things so her sons could be provided for . As far as her choice in men  , well you can see what her past record was ... Seems to me  she just needs good legal representation .

Honored Contributor

A conservatorship is not only for the elderly.  It can also be for a mentally unstable or incapable adult. 

I have no idea how a conservatorship exactly works and how it differs from a guardianship.  I know with a guardianship a doctor must submit a report indicating the guardianship is necessary and warranted.  Those reports have to be submitted every 2 years to prove the guardianship must continue.

Anytime the guardian wants to spend money, he/she has to make an application to the Court to obtain approval and an accounting must be done yearly and a bank verification filed to show exactly how much money is still left.

I'm not sure if that is what happens in her situation.  I'm not even sure exactly how she got in this situation.  However, if she has a mental issue of some sort that prevents her from handling her own affairs, of course someone should be appointed to take care of her money and make sure she is physically and mentally okay and getting treatment she needs.

There is a big difference between someone being a reckless spender and someone who cannot take care of their own funds and well being because they have a mental issue or some other health issue that prevents them from taking care of themself.   

Trusted Contributor

Yes, a critically important legal issue. However, don't forget that there is a generation of fans who grew up with her and care about her now.  A very talented woman.

Honored Contributor

Even a woman who has had several children removed from her care and custody permanently can have more children with any man she chooses!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pook wrote:

Even a woman who has had several children removed from her care and custody permanently can have more children with any man she chooses!

It may be down to the medication(s) she is currently taking. One, or all, may not be approved for use during pregnancy, could case harm to the baby or the mother or both. The public does not have enough information.