Honored Contributor

Re: Why don't the Fixer Uppers...

@Nightowlz wrote:

I don't know how it would cost less starting from scratch. These houses already have a foundation etc to build on. Not all of them need major work in all rooms. Besides they made houses better years ago.

I think they do a good job & you get a lot of bang for your buck.

I've seen them having to repour foundations on these shows. It is certainly simpler to put in wiring and plumbing as a building is being built than to retro fit it into existing building.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to watch Fixer Upper more than I do now.  I really like Jo's sense of house layout and her husband seems to know what he is doing. But, I got sick of his silliness!  And so many of their homes end up looking the same!  My DD and I always wonder...when there is money left over, why Jo doesn't offer to give it back to the home buyers as an option??? 

Respected Contributor

I've noticed that after all the renovations and additional money added, I suspect a lot of the homes are priced higher than the surrounding properties and could be difficult selling later; they've priced themselves higher than the neighborhood they bought into.  If you look around at some of the neighbors' properties, some don't look very nice.

The show's lure is seeing the thrown away, neglected home getting transformed into Cinderella.  I like Fixer Upper, but everyone in Waco seems to be shiplap crazy.  The interiors are predictable, but I like seeing the floorplan changes. 

Honored Contributor

All of the Fixer Upper shows,  like most HGTV  programming,  is essentially the same.   Same scenario,  same decorating style,  same materials,  same lame attempts at comedy.   I was bored after the second episode.   They find a formula that is popular then beat it to death while showing a few episode endlessly until you have the script memorized.   HGTV needs new management. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

All of the Fixer Upper shows,  like most HGTV  programming,  is essentially the same.   Same scenario,  same decorating style,  same materials,  same lame attempts at comedy.   I was bored after the second episode.   They find a formula that is popular then beat it to death while showing a few episode endlessly until you have the script memorized.   HGTV needs new management. 

I agree... Together with either some fresh programming or reverting back to some of the kinds of programs that put them on the proverbial map in the first place...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

...just demolish some of those old houses that have no historical value? Last night HGTV aired a new episode of Fixer Upper. I think Chip and Joanna do fantastic work and did so again in this latest episode. However, the home they worked on was a disaster. They had to redo everything, not just the esthetic stuff or even knocking down walls. They had to replace all the plumbing, electricity, heating and air conditioning. Then they rebuilt the outside and the inside. The couple who bought the property (with 40 acres) had big bucks, close to $600,000, which goes a long way in that area. I just wonder if it would have been better to start from scratch.

That much cash could of built them a mansion in Texas. I always thought this also. When there budget is that big why are they buying these ****** homes instead of building something new. The little couple did just what your saying. They tore down the house on the property and built new.

Valued Contributor

I really like Fixer Upper. The Gaines family is just adorable, and I enjoy their southern humor and style.  I think Chip and Joanna are very talented and enjoy their values.

Esteemed Contributor

All of these shows are based on pretty much the same formula with some minor adjustments.  I am getting bored with all of them and Chip Gaines really gets on my last nerve.

Esteemed Contributor

What amazws me on the Love it or List it shows is how messy and cluttered the peoples homes are.....

Sure the revamped home looks like a page out of a magazine at the end of the show...but what does it look like when all the "stuff" comes back in from the Storage center?

Honored Contributor

Well if they did what you suggest, the show would be called Tearer Downer and who'd watch that?  I like seeing the potential that older homes have.