Honored Contributor

Re: Why don't the Fixer Uppers...

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

...just demolish some of those old houses that have no historical value? Last night HGTV aired a new episode of Fixer Upper. I think Chip and Joanna do fantastic work and did so again in this latest episode. However, the home they worked on was a disaster. They had to redo everything, not just the esthetic stuff or even knocking down walls. They had to replace all the plumbing, electricity, heating and air conditioning. Then they rebuilt the outside and the inside. The couple who bought the property (with 40 acres) had big bucks, close to $600,000, which goes a long way in that area. I just wonder if it would have been better to start from scratch.

@Vivian  Laying foundations is very expensive, so if the foundation is solid, rarely is it demolished.

Valued Contributor

A lot of people buy for the schools and the neighborhoods. It's cheaper to renovate rather than build after a tear down 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

From what I can see, they do nice work, though we don't see everything that goes into it. I can understand why they try to save the older homes with the character. There were several on that show I would have wanted....not in Texas, though. My only complaint about the show is Chip himself. He is annoying and puerile. I really would rather see footage of him on the farm with the goats and dogs, and kids than the wasted footage of him doing stupid stuff in front of the camera with Jo. I just don't think he's in the least bit funny.

As someone else mentioned, the programming on HGTV leaves something to be desired. There is no variety anymore. It's all renovation shows. There used to be so many different kinds of shows from low budget design to chic high end interiors to purchasing, reno, and fix up. Now it's all pretty much the same thing, except for Flea market Flip, and I never know when that's going to be on.

Respected Contributor

I am all for preserving the look of old architecture. My issue with the show, which I no longer watch, was the repetitiveness of the design style and even of specific elements, such as a big clock on the wall, ship lap walls, etc. I think they do nice design work if you love that style, but I have moved on. I don't watch any HGTV shows anymore. It seems as if the shows are only about whole-house renos and flipping. Been there, done that-- several times over the years. I even flipped a house for fun the year I quit work. But I can't imagine that all their viewers are doing that. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have to ask those who are not on board with house flippers is - What about the idea of renovating and re-purposing and recycling? 

The younger folks are being challenged with moving into older areas and 'flipping' and bring resurgence into an area/neighborhood as opposed to developing land with new or newer homes.  So many graduate with their degrees and have their valedictorians spout out how they will face and overcome challenges, they will have THE ANSWER, etc.  They don't believe in overdevelopment, using us resources and such.  I think they should practice their so called beliefs.  Buy an old timer home in an older neighborhood, and flip it and live in it. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

It would be nice to see HGTV come up with some new shows.  

As as far as Chip, he tries too hard to be funny.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I have to ask those who are not on board with house flippers is - What about the idea of renovating and re-purposing and recycling? 

The younger folks are being challenged with moving into older areas and 'flipping' and bring resurgence into an area/neighborhood as opposed to developing land with new or newer homes.  So many graduate with their degrees and have their valedictorians spout out how they will face and overcome challenges, they will have THE ANSWER, etc.  They don't believe in overdevelopment, using us resources and such.  I think they should practice their so called beliefs.  Buy an old timer home in an older neighborhood, and flip it and live in it. 

They actually DID have a show on just that, called Rehab Addict. The really great thing was the rehab expert was a women who wasn't afraid to do anything a man would do in construction. Her area was to rebuild Detroit homes to their glory days, and she would often instruct as to how to keep the old but restore it economically. I loved that show. She just had a baby, though, so I haven't seen her show in ages. The results of her rehab houses was stunning.

Honored Contributor

Love Nicole Curtis!

I cringe every time the Property Brothers demolish a kitchen when the cabinets & countertops can be donated.

The Habitat for Humanity has a ReStore where people can donate items from a remodel, it's awesome.    You can find anything there, windows, shower surrounds, shower doors, cabinets, all kinds of built-ins, you name it.

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

They actually DID have a show on just that, called Rehab Addict. The really great thing was the rehab expert was a women who wasn't afraid to do anything a man would do in construction. Her area was to rebuild Detroit homes to their glory days, and she would often instruct as to how to keep the old but restore it economically. I loved that show. She just had a baby, though, so I haven't seen her show in ages. The results of her rehab houses was stunning.