Esteemed Contributor

Why don't the Fixer Uppers...

...just demolish some of those old houses that have no historical value? Last night HGTV aired a new episode of Fixer Upper. I think Chip and Joanna do fantastic work and did so again in this latest episode. However, the home they worked on was a disaster. They had to redo everything, not just the esthetic stuff or even knocking down walls. They had to replace all the plumbing, electricity, heating and air conditioning. Then they rebuilt the outside and the inside. The couple who bought the property (with 40 acres) had big bucks, close to $600,000, which goes a long way in that area. I just wonder if it would have been better to start from scratch.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why don't the Fixer Uppers...

Personally, I'd rather see them take their 'empire' and disappear into the, uh, woodwork... I've grown very, very tired of them very, very quickly...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Never watched that show but Love It/List It has the same idea.  To spend all that money renovating a place, it's easier to move, no decision necessary, but then they wouldn't have a show.

Honored Contributor

One of my late husband's company's consisted of buying houses and fixing them up and selling them, so I know a little about it.

One reason to do this (as opposed to knocking them down) is because you don't have to deal with as many regulations.  It takes longer to start a house from the beginning versus re-wiring, moving and re-moving walls, etc.

Every time major work is done or to be done you have to get approvals and then it has to be checked and on and on (if you watch these shows you have an idea) but they don't go into that so much.

You'd be surprised at homeowners associations and the power they have in the community.  Sometimes that comes into play.  Here's an example (not quite the same as you mentioned but about Homeowners associations).  We bought a townhouse in a development where there was nothing but townhouses.  We asked around and were told the homeowners association was weak and didn't get involved in much.  Ha!

We (he and I did it back then) painted the house, inside and out, fixed everything, etc.  It was beautiful.  We painted the outside just a beige (very normal) color, not much different from each side of neighbors.  In  no time we received a letter from...you guessed it, homeowners association telling us we'd painted it the wrong color.  We went back and painted the entire outside of house the color it was before which was ugly.  Guess what?  We received another letter stating that a mistake had been made when it was painted the color when we bought the house and told us (finally what awful color to paint it).  This time we hired a painter and painted it the terrible color the association wanted.  Finally, they approved.

We had a hard time selling it because people actually told us they hated the outside color.  It finally sold.

That is another reason why sometimes it's easier to not just tear houses down.  Most TV shows don't go into having to deal with homeowners associations.  They've always been a pain in our necks.

I always watch THIS OLD HOUSE and am amazed at the way they will tear down an old house almost to the ground and rebuild the thing.  Yet, they don't totally tear it down.  They move this wall, put that wall BACK UP and crazy things.  Sometimes the house is a house that can't be changed (forget what it's called) so they can only bring it back to the original way it was built.

I live near an area where there are houses built during the Civil War. These houses can't be changed.  

Sometimes a big wind would blow them over but the person buying them must not tear it down but bring it back to the original way it was built.  It's part of agreeing when you buy the house.  A builder of old and new houses must always do his or her homework, believe me!  We've been known to visit with the neighbors to see or get an idea if we'll have trouble from them while working on the house (i.e. noise, etc).  Sometimes people would rather live next to a dump than put up with a little noise and upset in their lives than be bothered for a short time.

I remember a house we bought to live in.  It was an older house with thick plaster walls (the old fashioned kind).  My husband decided to repair a hole that was over the door (inside).  When I got home from work (told you it was a long time...Ha!) the lawn was white!! and words were coming out of his mouth I'd never heard!  This was one of the first houses he'd worked on and was a novice at this stuff.  

It seems that the more he tried to fix the hole the bigger it got, the white was plaster he'd mixed up and wouldn't work!  We finally had to pay someone to fix it (real plaster walls are a pain to fix).  Over the years he learned to do everything and was amazing at it.

He had a lot of other companies (he was an investor) but this repair one was his baby and his favorite because he felt like he was giving these house a new chance on life.

Trusted Contributor

In my area it is cheaper over the years to redo an older building than buy a new one.  You have what you want and you know it is done right.  Property taxes are much higher on new homes.  Few permits were needed except for replacing the roofing.  My children bought older large houses and have redone each themselves. They were not into open concept and purchased homes that were laid out the way they wanted them so interior walls were not moved.  It was a project they did as a couple and the cost was not nearly as expensive as any of those done on TV.  They did all new windows, insulation, interior walls, new kitchen, siding, electric, etc.  They basically have new homes but not the new home price and taxes. I am very proud of the work they have done.

Respected Contributor

I used to like most of the programming on HGTV.  My "likes" have begun to change, however.  I still enjoy Love it or List it, but I can't understand why they don't check into the electric, plumbing, unapproved things before they make a commitment to redo a house.  It only takes a few minutes to uncover some of the things that come as "surprises" to Hillary and her crew. Just find out if additions and changes were approved by the  city, the HOA, etc.  Takes so little time and saves so much money in the long run.

Chip and Joanna Gaines are favorites.  Joanna is delightful and talented. Chip, on the other hand, has great skills, but is disgusstingly silly.  Maybe there are some who enjoy his childishness. (Same as some of the hosts on QVC IMHO.)  I just like to see a grown man act like one. But they seem to love their children and each other, and that is always a pleasure to see.

Flip side of the coin, however, is the Flip and Flop couple.  Tarek seems to be sincere, but Christina is, and has always seemed, to be in love with Christina. From what I see and read, she seems to have moved on to someone named Gary, even during her recent pregnancy. (Maybe the little guy's DNA should be checked.) I think Tarek may have run off into the woods with a gun (if that is true) when Christina informed him that his world just came crashing down. I can't enjoy their show anymore as it seems to be purely phony.  Don't watch Flip and Flop these days.  

As for the new flippers, they are all of no intnenrest to me.  I don't care to watch Tiny Houses or Lottery Winners.  I do still watch House Hunters sometimes. Sorry HGTV, but you're losing me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know how it would cost less starting from scratch. These houses already have a foundation etc to build on. Not all of them need major work in all rooms. Besides they made houses better years ago.

I think they do a good job & you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Frequent Contributor

Fixer Upper with Joanna and Chip Gaines is one of my favorite shows! 

Honored Contributor

I am a person who loves my antiques and would really appreciate the beauty of an old home but my first husband and I bought a renovated old home and it was an awful experience. They had not properly renovated the mechanicals of the house before they did the esthetic changes and we had constant problems requiring putting openings into walls to do repairs etc. For this reason I will never own an old house ever again.I much prefer life in a new house where at least I'm starting out knowing everything is up to code and can be expected to probably last at least until the warranty wears out. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Perkup wrote:

I used to like most of the programming on HGTV.  My "likes" have begun to change, however.  I still enjoy Love it or List it, but I can't understand why they don't check into the electric, plumbing, unapproved things before they make a commitment to redo a house.  It only takes a few minutes to uncover some of the things that come as "surprises" to Hillary and her crew. Just find out if additions and changes were approved by the  city, the HOA, etc.  Takes so little time and saves so much money in the long run.

Chip and Joanna Gaines are favorites.  Joanna is delightful and talented. Chip, on the other hand, has great skills, but is disgusstingly silly.  Maybe there are some who enjoy his childishness. (Same as some of the hosts on QVC IMHO.)  I just like to see a grown man act like one. But they seem to love their children and each other, and that is always a pleasure to see.

Flip side of the coin, however, is the Flip and Flop couple.  Tarek seems to be sincere, but Christina is, and has always seemed, to be in love with Christina. From what I see and read, she seems to have moved on to someone named Gary, even during her recent pregnancy. (Maybe the little guy's DNA should be checked.) I think Tarek may have run off into the woods with a gun (if that is true) when Christina informed him that his world just came crashing down. I can't enjoy their show anymore as it seems to be purely phony.  Don't watch Flip and Flop these days.  

As for the new flippers, they are all of no intnenrest to me.  I don't care to watch Tiny Houses or Lottery Winners.  I do still watch House Hunters sometimes. Sorry HGTV, but you're losing me.

HGTV lost me when they moved away from decorating and gardening into 're-purposing', 'flipping' and all real estate all the time... Moreover, no matter what show you watch, the essential aesthetic is too often the same... and it isn't mine...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...