Honored Contributor

I was delighted to find reruns of Whose Line Is It Anyway on the UP channel tonight. They are mixing them all together - the originals with Drew Carey as host, and the re-do with Aisha Tyler and all the who-the-heck-is-that “guest stars.” I will mostly skip the later series as I found them way more annoying than funny, but it’s a treat to see some original episodes.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

I have enjoyed this show for many years.  And I agree, the earlier shows are better than the current ones!  I am constantly amazed at the originality and creativity of the participants on stage!   I have often wondered if they did not know the storyline that the "scene" was based on.  But I read once that they do not know the "story" behind the gag!!

Trusted Contributor

Now that was a funny show. To pull up some random storyline and characters and act it out so well, and be funny, that was good. 

Honored Contributor

The first Richard Simmons episode is an out and out classic.  Youtube it if you have never seen it and be prepared to laugh your butt off.  Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

We enjoy this show but I cannot believe it is not rehearsed.  There is just no way they can sing made up on the spot songs without ever losing a beat.

Wayne Brady is an ultimate entertainer. 

Trusted Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

We enjoy this show but I cannot believe it is not rehearsed.  There is just no way they can sing made up on the spot songs without ever losing a beat.

I sometimes thought that, too. They would  pick random people from the audience and have them come up with some weird scenario and off they’d go with it. Such talent. 

I liked Wayne Brady, too. Multi-talented. : )

Honored Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

Improv is a talent; with some it is inborn and can be honed, with some it can be taught/learned, and some will never “get it.” There are famous comedy workshops and training grounds that teach improv, like Second City in Chicago, where a large number of SNL alumni learned. Groundlings is another. There are many, both professional and collegiate. There is a chain of comedy clubs just called The Improv in major cities. Comedians who like improvisation and are good at it hone their skills at these places.

Colin and Ryan both studied/worked at Second City. Wayne Brady has been doing improv since he was 16.

All those guys - yes, I believe they all can do it off the top of their heads.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all