Respected Contributor

Re: Who’s going to watch “Being Mary Tyler Moore” tonight?

I just finished watching the one on Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward.  It was 6 episodes.  I thinks its called The Last Movie Stars.  I thought it was interesting.  I didnt know he had been married when they met and he had 3 children.  They had an affair for 5 years before they married.  They made the series at the request of their children.  Paul died of lung cancer and Joanne is still alive but has Alzeimers. since 2008.

Esteemed Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

Just curious, is there some controversy about Mary that I do not know about?  

Not at all trying to start a problem, but I am wondering if I have missed something.

I don't think there's a controversy. She's just an institution in show biz, plus she was involved in animal advocacy and also a spokesman for diabetes. I just think people just related to her and enjoyed her work.

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

I watched the documentary & thought it was good. I learned that she helped the portrayal & roles of women in the media and inspired some women. I believe she was very talented, but I also think the writers of the DVD show and the MTM show had a lot to do with her success and the way women's portrayals evolved.

I don't think I learned much about her personality.

I remember when I started college telling a BFF that I wanted to be like MTM: move away and start a career when I graduated. So, the changing times for women & a little subtle MTM must have impacted me.

@Desert Lily 

I wanted to grow up and live in that apartment.

Mary Tyler Moore Show Christmas episode | Christmas episodes, Mary tyler moore show, Mary tyler ...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee 

Oh, me too!  I LOVED her original apartment!  And I wanted to have a best friend like Rhoda upstairs too!💕

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

That stained glass roll up kitchen window!💕💕IMG_1424.jpeg

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Desert Lily wrote:

I watched the documentary & thought it was good. I learned that she helped the portrayal & roles of women in the media and inspired some women. I believe she was very talented, but I also think the writers of the DVD show and the MTM show had a lot to do with her success and the way women's portrayals evolved.

I don't think I learned much about her personality.

I remember when I started college telling a BFF that I wanted to be like MTM: move away and start a career when I graduated. So, the changing times for women & a little subtle MTM must have impacted me.

@Desert Lily 

I wanted to grow up and live in that apartment.

Mary Tyler Moore Show Christmas episode | Christmas episodes, Mary tyler moore show, Mary tyler ...

Yes that apartment !    I loved it and wanted to live there when the time came to have my own.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@4kitties 

@Kitty Galore 

The 'Mary Tyler Moore Show' House Is for Sale | Apartment Therapy

Mary Tyler Moore's 'house' sells for $1.5M after 5 years on market - Twin Cities

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I watched this and Still ( Michael J. Fox) this afternoon, they were both good. 

Honored Contributor

Hubby and I watched  it and totally enjoyed it, I loved the Mary Tyler Moore show, I always wanted to be like her.  

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.