Trusted Contributor

Re: Who's Watching the Met Gala? On E channel@

@Somertime
Love these Cher Through The Years pix...I didn't know she was even there last night. Bob Mackie and Cher practically INVENTED camp. Well-done!
Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
@CANDLEQUEEN
Jared Leto was beside himself! 😁
Absolutely LOVED his interpretation of camp...I thought it was a play on the Kathy Griffin severed head debacle?!

No, it was definitely an OTT ball mask.  Two other people had them.  Anyone who dared to channel Kathy Griffin would be banned forever.  There are many things than can get you banned by Anna Wintour.  Tim Gunn is banned for life.

Respected Contributor

@MarnieRez3  @momtochloe  They said she skipped the Red Carpet and was a surprise performer!  She did several ABBA songs plus, Believe and If I could Turn Back Time.

I swear she's like Dorian Grey, there has to be a portrait in the attic, somewhere!  Except, her Mom is a knockout at 90 something.

GettyImages-107334866.jpg

Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
@Somertime
Love these Cher Through The Years pix...I didn't know she was even there last night. Bob Mackie and Cher practically INVENTED camp. Well-done!

Bob Mackie's costumes for her are part of the Metropolitan Museum of Art's 2019 Exhibition, which is of course Camp, which is what the gala benefits.

Several people paid homage to Cher.  One was a Kardashian and I detest them all but she looked fabulous.  Another was Emily Ratajkowski who also looked fabulous.  Can't remember who else but there were more.

Trusted Contributor

@Somertime
WOW! Talk about a blessed gene pool...her mother is stunning!!!! Thanks for posting that picture.
@LoriLori Thank you...I didn't realize the Bob Mackie connection! He truly is The King of Camp.
Trusted Contributor

@Somertime
Omg...Cher singing ABBA songs...be still my heart!
It's The Camp Queen singing Camp Songs at a Camp Gala!
My head is exploding! Love!!!!!!
Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
@Somertime
Omg...Cher singing ABBA songs...be still my heart!
It's The Camp Queen singing Camp Songs at a Camp Gala!
My head is exploding! Love!!!!!!

At a gala the theme of which is Camp as is the theme of the exhibition which features Cher's costumes among other things.  And did you see Mamma Mia Here We Go Again? where she's costumed as Lady Gaga and sings an incredible "Fernando."

Trusted Contributor

@LoriLori
Aha!!
Thank you!!
No...I didn't see Mama Mia part 2...but I will now!
You're getting all these references that went right over my head. I'm going to read the Vogue article you posted on PR thread...that looks fascinating.
Honored Contributor

Here it is (a long article on the actual Met Costume Institute Exhibition, which takes us on a history of camp and questions of what is, what isn't, camp and how has it historically been interpreted):

https://www.vogue.com/article/camp-notes-on-fashion-exhibition-andrew-bolton-interview

Respected Contributor

This is Bob Mackie's year!  Nominated for a Tony for costumes for The Cher Show and then part of the Met's Costume Exhibit:  CAMP!  Well, deserved.