Honored Contributor

Re: Who has watched a soap opera the longest on here?

PerkUp, you ARE a little older than I, but I absolutely LOVED and continue to love radio soaps.

Stella Dallas, Our Gal Sunday, Young Widow Brown, When a Girl Marries, Mary Noble Backstage Wife.......

The radio in the kitchen, the ironing board, the potato pot.........just like yesterday.

Honored Contributor

DOOL celebrates 50 years on the air next month, myself and a couple of others on the DOOL Forum here have watched all 50 years. We call ourselves The Lifers.

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

PerkUp, you ARE a little older than I, but I absolutely LOVED and continue to love radio soaps.

Stella Dallas, Our Gal Sunday, Young Widow Brown, When a Girl Marries, Mary Noble Backstage Wife.......

The radio in the kitchen, the ironing board, the potato pot.........just like yesterday.

You describe it perfectly.  The small radio in the kitchen - the big one - wooden and probably a Crosley-  in the living room.  Grandmother ironing or cooking - something always on the stove.

I turned 81 in August, so I'm older than most on the Board.  And lucky to be here still with a pretty keen mind and reasonable health for an "old lady".   You?

Honored Contributor

I remember the last episode of "Guiding Light" and the first episode of "Young and the Restless."  Back in those early days of Y&R, Hasselhoff and Selleck were quite the handsome leading men.

Honored Contributor

That whole Y&R group was not only beautiful but most of them were singers, too, @deepwaterdotter.  The plots were better for sure.  I think Y&R started with half an hour, didn't they?  Even now, I sometimes go to youtube and watch some of the first episodes.  John Cook was the most handsome of them all with a beautiful voice.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

That whole Y&R group was not only beautiful but most of them were singers, too, @deepwaterdotter.  The plots were better for sure.  I think Y&R started with half an hour, didn't they?  Even now, I sometimes go to youtube and watch some of the first episodes.  John Cook was the most handsome of them all with a beautiful voice.

I totally agree, I watched Y and R from 73 to 80 when it was all about the Brooks and Foster families, gave up on it after they all left.

Honored Contributor

I watched Secret Storm and Guiding Light from when I was a child.  Also As The World Turns and Guiding Light with my mother.  Watched both The Young and Restless and Bold and The Beautiful from the beginning also and there was another one on for several years that had Donna Mills who started out as a nun.  I had a radio that got tv stations in in the '70's and early '80's that I could usually listen to them at work.

Honored Contributor

i got hooked on soap operas in college......yes, i was one of those students who scheduled classes AROUND my soaps. LOL

starting in 1980 i watched YandR, ATWT (that was my favorite until it went off the air), SEARCH FOR TOMORROW (until it went off the air).

i began watching CAPITOL in the early 1980s until it was cancelled a number of years later.

started watching THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL during the late 1980s and have watched it ever since then.

i have been really sorry to see this tv genre dwindle away.......of course i loved many of the nighttime soap dramas such as dallas, knots landing, falcon crest, dynasty, and more.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Does it mean I watched the longest, if I forget ? Woman LOL

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Honored Contributor

Some of  you guys have me beaten, but not but much.  I turn 69 this year, so I've been watching for a long time too.

I don't remember exactly when I started but I was very young because I went to live with my older sister, she watched the soaps.  I remember a lot of the one's all of you talked about.

My late husband and I used to talk about all of the kiddie shows we loved growing up.  Shows like Captain Kangaroo, Hoody Doodie, The Today Show in the very early 50's.

Those of you who remember the old soaps.  Remember Lisa on ATWT?  I went back and was reading about the show.  It actually triggered memories.  Fun to do that, isn't it?  I still still see Lisa in my head.  She was ATWT's version of Catherine on Y&R.