Honored Contributor

Re: Who Rememers "Pookie the Lion" From the Soupy Sales Show?

@Mz iMac wrote:

I remember.....

Soupy Sales

Chief Halftown

Captain Kangeroo

Willie The Worm

Howdy Doody

Sheri Lewis & Lamb Chops

Sally Star 

Pixanne 

Never heard of any of these.  I googled Soupy.  I don't think they used a real pie in the face.  That would hurt.  Don't they use fake pies?

Frequent Contributor

You can see Soupy and Pookie, and White fang  on you tube. There is one you tube i used to watch Pookie singing and spitting into a spitoon. Those were the days, we had great child shows! 

Respected Contributor

Some Soupy Sales trivia...his sons Tony and Hunt are musicians, who were in Todd Rundgren's early group Runt ...they slso played with Iggy Pop and David Bowie.

My Sis used to work at a radio station near the Detroit area. Soupy came in for an interview...somewhere is a photo of her with him.  She said he was very nice.

Respected Contributor

@DesertPony wrote:

Count me in with those who spent the afternoons with Soupy and his friends...always thought he had such a happy smile...now it's time to do the Soupy Shuffle....well at 69 maybe not as easy anymore lol.

I'll never forget the Soupy Shuffle.  My father had our basement finished off in the early 60's with linoleum tiles and wild matching wallpaper, the perfect environment for dancing the Soupy Shuffle over n over n over.  That and the Twist were my two go to moves!!

I don't remember Pookie.  I remember Fang always knocking at the door and sticking his paw thru the door and grunting.  I liked Soupy and I used to also like Sonny Fox on Wonderama and mailed off a request for tickets with a hand-drawn stamp on the envelope.  (Guess he never got it)  Woman Tongue

I also practiced moves in our basement from Hullabaloo and Where the Action Is.  Used to just luv Paul Revere and the Raiders.  And seeing the girls dancing in cages with their white go-go boots.  I wanted to grow up and be like that wearing mod mini dresses w/white boots.  Sorry to go off the track so much but all these memories sort of blend together.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

I remember when he told the kids to go look in daddy's wallet and get those green pieces of paper out and send them to ole Soupy! He got in a lot of trouble for that as I recall hehehe. Me and Mom loved the show! I think even Frank Sinatra did a guest appearance with pie. Back in the day.......