Honored Contributor

Re: Who Killed the Lyon Sisters?

@2Kittys wrote:

I watched this last night. I never heard of it before, maybe because I'm on the west coast. What a horribly sad story! Those poor girls!

@2Kittys  Maybe because of your age? It's a very old crime.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had to look this up. The Lyon family had a son.  He became a policeman appropriately.  

Before my time, but I vaugely heard about this.  We had just moved from California to Maryland. I remember my mother worried about me going to malls with friends.  Didn't know it had to do with what happened. It turned out I was a mall rat.  Hanging out with my friends.  Every Saturday. Never bought anything, just window shopped.  I watch a lot of Discovery/Crime shows and saw this advertised.  But I forgot to watch it.

Ironically I knew more about the Beaumont children then the Lyon sisters It happened earlier.  In the mid Sixties.  3 kids from a family went to spend the day at the beach (Adelaide,  Australia) and disappeared.  The kids were allowed to go by themselves.  The oldest 9, 7, & 4 I think. This was considered OK in Australia at the time.  Population was very low then. Crime was very rare.  Anyway it changed the way parents cared for their children.  From then on Australia "lost their innocence" The kids were never found.

The kids

BeaumontChildren.jpg

Honored Contributor

@songbird I'm surprised kids that young were allowed to go to the beach alone. Not for fear of child predators in those days but for fear they would drown! My parents watched us like a hawk at the beach. Was one of the theories about how these children disappeared is that they drowned?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@songbird I'm surprised kids that young were allowed to go to the beach alone. Not for fear of child predators in those days but for fear they would drown! My parents watched us like a hawk at the beach. Was one of the theories about how these children disappeared is that they drowned?

No.  The children were seen in a company of a man (just like the Lyon Sisters)  Same situation.  They believed the children were abducted and murdered.  The supposed crime shocked Australia to it's core.  It completely changed how parents looked after their children. This crime destroyed the parents.  Their children were taken, their marriage was destroyed.  The mother died in the 1990's alone in a nursing home.  The father is still alive. There was a whole list of suspects.  But there wasn't any evidence.  Only that the children were in a company of a man in his late 30's. He bought them food, etc during the day on the beach. The children were last  seen following the man,  The kids had been going to the same beach for day in a row.  They think they might have struck up a friendship with him.  Trusted him.

Crime has always been around.  There really is no such thing as good old days, we never locked our house, etc.  No such thing as a safe neighborhood.  It was just as dangerous in the 1950's as it is now.