Honored Contributor

Re: Who Is Your Favorite All Time Game Show Host?

@wildcat fan wrote:

I've been enjoying the game show channels this summer.  I especially like watching Password with Allen Ludden and Card Sharks with Jim Perry.  

A few weeks ago, I came across a YouTube video called "The Real Match Game Story:  Behind the Blank."  I thought that was interesting.  It mentioned how Gene Rayburn loved doing the show and why Richard Dawson left.  

I loved watching Richard Dawson on Family Feud, but got to where I'd cringe when he kissed the ladies.  Loved just saying Wink Martindale's name.  A name like that was just destined for celebrity status.

I've never understood the interest in Steve Harvey.   He's my least favorite host. 👎

While watching some of the older game shows, I've been thinking about some of the best and worst celebrity guests.  Eva Gabor did surprisingly well on Password, but I had to turn the channel a few times after her ridiculous answers on Match Game. 😂

@wildcat fan 

I totally agree with everything you said....and also enjoy watching the ole game shows.....

I dont care for Steve Harvey AT ALL either !!! 

Speaking of Wink....there's an NFL Ravens coach, Don Martindale, he earned the nickname of "wink" after the game show host while he was playing football in college ....and everyone calls him "Wink" in the NFL too... 😄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love BUZZR for old game shows and my favorites are:

Bert Convy

Allen Ludden

Bob Eubanks (on Card Sharks and on The Newlywed Game)

Jim Perry (Sale of The Century) but I like Bob Eubanks better on Card Sharks.

Bill Cullen

Tom Kennedy

Adam Wade (Musical Chairs) (one of the only black show hosts back in the 70s)

Garry Moore - To Tell The Truth

Jack Narz - Concentration and Now You See It

Alex Trebek - High Rollers and Classic Concentration

Also liked Ray Combs over RD on FF.

Tyne Daly's father was James Daly from Medical Center.

Don't get me started w/Steve Harvey.  Cannot stand him on any show. 

Why did Richard Dawson leave MG?  I heard it was because he was selected to do Family Feud? 

Respected Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

@cuddles wrote:

John Daly was the host of What's My Line.  He was the father of Tyne Daly from Cagney and Lacey.

As often as I used to watch John Daly, I had no idea he was the father of Tyne Daly.  

Thanks so much for that info.   I always enjoyed her in Cagney & Lacey.

Tyne Daly's father was James Daly from Medical Center not John Daly from WML. 

Honored Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

Why did Richard Dawson leave MG?  I heard it was because he was selected to do Family Feud? 

@SWEET 

Dawson lobbied producer Mark Goodson for his own show and got it — Family Feud, a series spun off from Match Game's "Super Match" clue board. For a season or two, the former Hogan's Heroes actor was starring twice a day on two different game shows.

By 1977, it was clear even to viewers that Dawson didn't want to be on the Match Game panel any more. The producers came up with a spinning wheel to give the other celebs a shot at some face time during the big money guesses, something Dawson took as a personal affront. The producers eventually gave him his release.

"I remember he left the show and everyone was thrilled," said Somers.

Dawson, however, was vindicated when Feud soon took over as TV's No. 1 daytime series. His "survey says" became an instant catch phrase. His habit of kissing every single female player on the show was also part of Feud's corny charm.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”