Honored Contributor

Re: Whitney Way Thore... My Big Fat Fab Life is not shy!

It is better to live your life without thinking about what others think. I know from first hand experience of sitting on the sidelines, missing out on so much because I wasn't comfortable with the way I looked.

Respected Contributor

@Still Raining I really enjoyed Whitney early on, when she promoted the big girl dance programs.  She encouraged others with weight issues to get active and enjoy themselves, in spite of their weight, BUT there was also some proactive messages about health.  All good and potentially inspiring.  

Her parents are adorable and shared worry about Whitney's weight. While no serious dieting, Whitney did try to lower blood sugars and other interventions.  At intervals she would lose some weight.  However, she always has blamed her weight on PCOS, instead of taking responsibility for her food addiction. But the weight problem wasn't denied.

Over time, she has pretty much ditched the big girl dance programs, that led to her popularity.  Now she infrequently addresses her weight, presenting it as almost something to be proud of, while she's proclaiming she's physically fit, in spite of her weight. These are not good messages.  Morbid obesity will eventually take its toll.   

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

@Still Raining I really enjoyed Whitney early on, when she promoted the big girl dance programs.  She encouraged others with weight issues to get active and enjoy themselves, in spite of their weight, BUT there was also some proactive messages about health.  All good and potentially inspiring.  

Her parents are adorable and shared worry about Whitney's weight. While no serious dieting, Whitney did try to lower blood sugars and other interventions.  At intervals she would lose some weight.  However, she always has blamed her weight on PCOS, instead of taking responsibility for her food addiction. But the weight problem wasn't denied.

Over time, she has pretty much ditched the big girl dance programs, that led to her popularity.  Now she infrequently addresses her weight, presenting it as almost something to be proud of, while she's proclaiming she's physically fit, in spite of her weight. These are not good messages.  Morbid obesity will eventually take its toll.   

Your reasons for no longer watching are much more honorable than mine.  I don't watch because I'm sick of seeing her sweating in spandex.  I would feel the same if she were average weight.

I also think the show gives the opposite message in many ways.  The way they show her constantly exercising  to no avail is DISCOURAGING (IMO) to people who are trying to lose weight.  They seldom show her eating, but she is always exercising; yet her body never changes.  What kind of message is that?

Respected Contributor

@kitpach wrote:

People have no shame these days. Can't she wear a nice one piece ,longer skirted suit that would look cute on her.  I can talk , as a former fat girl. It is so important to wear something flattering when you are over weigh. Nobody wants to see all that fat hanging out. And it's Not always that you're curvy , sometimes it just fat.  Size charts have changed , 40 years ago , a size 22 was a size 18 . People are being fooled  that they are a smaller size. 

So, you are body shaming a person and questioning her shame? How sad..

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

I think some self tanner (first!!!) then a suit more along these lines (D&C Beach) and she would look beachy cute. That suit she is wearing would flatter nobody.

Rust Bra - ShopStyle

Trusted Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

I have not watched this show, but if it is indeed on season 8, I would ask why anyone would watch a show about an obscenely fat freak.  This is so wrong on so many levels.  I feel sorry for her.

----------

Your post shows, what an enlightened, sensitive, caring person you are! 

"Obscenely fat freak"!  😳 WOW