Honored Contributor

While I enjoy a good court show, or mystery, etc.

[ Edited ]

I think I'd be so bored setting through a real court trial.  I've been called in and almost had a case but didn't have to do.  On t.v. it has a time limit, but in real life, they can go on and on.

How do you feel about court cases?

Respected Contributor

Re: While I enjoy a good court show, or mystery, etc.

Funny you should ask.  I just got a jury summons in the mail.

I've had several summons but only had to serve once.  It only lasted one day and wasn't a bad experience.  

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal   Trials do go on and on, but what I found boring was sitting in the jury pool for hours waiting to be called when I knew from the type of case one of the lawyers would be sure to use their challenge to dismiss me.  I went through that process twice, so once I turned 70, I used my age card so that I'd never be called again.

Probably a good thing I did that because now my short-term memory would make me a poor juror.  

Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I think I'd be so bored setting through a real court trial.  I've been called in and almost had a case but didn't have to do.  On t.v. it has a time limit, but in real life, they can go on and on.

How do you feel about court cases?

@qualitygal   I hope I am never called for jury duty again....the first time I was notified was when I lived in Pittsburgh and was chosen for the case.  It was a murder trial that went on and on...and we were quarantined for 2 days.  I was really nervous when the trial was over with a guilty verdict.  The courthouse lobby was crowded with angry family members and I just wanted to go home.  I have never been called since thank goodness. 

Respected Contributor

The high profile court cases you see on tv are not the rule.  Law is extremely boring as a whole and tedious.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

5 years ago, I was subpoenaed as a witness. I was in court each day. Believe me, I wasn't bored.

On the 1st day, there were several defendants who had their initial hearings in the same courtroom. It was a learning experience about a whole different world and creepy when hearing what they were charged with.

My late husband was a juror in a murder case. The jurors were sequestered for 10 days. He wasn't bored during the hours of the trial.

Respected Contributor

I've been on two juries serving as foreperson on one of them. One was a county trial and one was federal. They were interesting...not boring at all! That being said, I feel I've done my duty and don't want to serve again.

Honored Contributor

When I surved on 2 juries I found them to be totally interesting and I learned a lot.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

The first time I was called for jury duty (and I've been called at least a half a dozen times) was the only time I served.  It was an armed bank robbery, tried in Federal court.  Fortunately, the case was pretty clear cut and the trial only lasted 3 days.  I hated serving and fortunately was never picked again for a jury.  Now that I'm past 70 years old I no longer have to be concerned about it, thank goodness!

Trusted Contributor

I was not aware that there is an age limit, but I suppose it makes sense.

I learn something interesting every day!  Smiley Happy